Houzz Logo Print
debbiejames602

How should I style my entry table?

Debbie JAMES
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like suggestions regarding the correct way to style a glass entry table. When shopping for décor items I have been told to always have 3 items on one side and something low on opposite side of table. I have attached two photos with the table being styled slightly differently. Which one looks the best?

Comments (49)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I'm unsure of the correct way, but I like the first styling best. Looks really lovely and interesting.

Debbie JAMES thanked annb1997
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Love the first one too, maybe basket could be moved under table, maybe put a lovely cushion or throw into it, found these ones that could add interest too, did you get your plant from Tvsn?
    Debbie JAMES thanked julie herbert
  • Related Discussions

How to make my old style dining table modern

Q

Comments (8)
    Beautiful table, re upholstering the chairs and updating the area where they are would be a good start, add some colour to,the room and a floor rug. when I saw the first picture I thought paint it but not so sure once I saw the lovely carved legs I became stuck on the decision. I painted my traditional dining table and changed the area it was in but mine was nothing special, a reproduction made of rubber-wood, beautifully made table but no vintage piece of furniture .. I did a story on it in Houzz called painting a table if you wanted to have a look. Another option could be to paint the chairs as well reupholstering them but leave the table as is. Good luck, hard one
    ...See More

How should I furnish this area of my bedroom?

Q

Comments (7)
    You could buy a lovely bedroom comfy chair with a little side table for a reading nook if you just feel like relaxing with good light, I liked kiwimills suggestion of a day bed with storage, or you could make storage, cupboard for shoes built in if you wanted then add plants or nick nacks on the top of the cupboard for texture and designer look, if you are like me, you never have enough room for shoes!!
    ...See More

How high should my kitchen island and dining table be?

Q

Comments (10)
    I was told to bend arms at the elbow then have forearms parallel to the floor with hands outstretched - that is a comfortable/ergonomic bench height for me. My sister did this and no sore back working in her kitchen:) The sink - arms stretched down and hands flat on base of sink = comfort. Chairs are made to suit the male proportions -higher- so generally to get comfortable women (as usually women are shorter from ankle to knee) - have to cross their legs so the hips can relax. (I have seriously thought of cutting just 2cm from our chair legs )
    ...See More

Should my entrance furniture match my dinning room?

Q

Comments (1)
    Looking at the bench in your entrance, a console will take up the same amount of room, it will just be a taller piece of furniture. If you look at 450mm deep consoles. keeping the same theme as your DINING is fine, but there are no rules. Already your DINING table is a different colour finish to your buffet unit, and the shutters are a different wood again, so get what you love for the front entrance console.
    ...See More
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Love the second one too with the extra vase, ooh! Hard decision, both gorgeous.
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HiJulie I decided not to get the fiddle leaf from tvsn are looking at another one which is a bit higher. Those baskets are lovely. Maybe I can try a lamp there, but need to get a power point put there.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    That could look lovely also, I got the free dale leaf fig, put it next to a real sansivera and it’s so hard d to tell the real from the artificial.
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It looks great.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    That should read fiddle leaf fig (phone auto correct ‘s)
    Love your new house Debbie, you must be so happy.
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I knew what you were talking about !! Thanks Julie yes its all coming together just moving a few things around and just need to update décor items ive had for a while. I sometimes second guess myself when I'm styling. I think maybe it would be easier to hire a interior stylist to help as I'm not sure what works and sometimes I buy something and think that looks great and get it home and it doesn't work and Ive wasted money.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I think you are doing a wonderful job, your colours and furniture are very stylish,it’s gorgeous .
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If I put a table lamp on the glass console table in entry should I stay with a silver one like I have or go with glass???

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    You could do either Debbie, your silver one is lovely or you could go clear glass, either would look lovely with your table.
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Julie which website is the glass lamp on?

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Julie I quite like that one will have a look. Do you think that style of lamp will still fit in with my other home décor. I'm not sure really what is my style a bit of scandi, modern.?

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I love the white lamps you have Debbie, maybe something similar would carry your Scandi theme throughout your lovely house, it may tie it together beautifully rather than adding glass, maybe a bit more in keeping with the look you are after, would be gorgeous looking from table down to that fab artwork.
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have this lamp as well what do you think?

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Absolutely gorgeous Debbie, it’s perfect, looks such a beautiful entrance, highlights that artwork beautifully, colours stunning, you must be very happy, love it.
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Debbie, I just noticed you placed your potted plant in the basket-looks wonderful!

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I like that particular lamp there. Ties in with flooring so well.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Julie and annb1997 ive had the lamp for a few years but was packed away with other things I haven't unpacked. Have brought my fresh flowers for the week so have updated all my vases around the house with lovely fresh blooms.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

A nice reunion then! I too love fresh flowers in the house. Enjoy!

• spmm
    5 years ago
    Really like the latest version with the white lamp - just one thing seems out of place for an entrance, the book - unless it is a visitors book of course.
    Debbie JAMES thanked spmm
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

spmm I felt it needed something there but didn't have anything else any suggestions?

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Now my interest is peaked...what is the title of the book? I think any book serves as a talking point and is never out of place anywhere.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I was going to say the same annb, you could start a lovely trend Debbie, a great place to showcase a beautiful book, a talking point for your guests on arriving and leaving, lovely idea, think I will put my Paul Bangay books on my entry table, such a lovely idea.
  • Kate
    5 years ago

I vote for second. Elegant, less cluttered so I can see the beautiful table and get feels no of space, less is more as they say.

Debbie JAMES thanked Kate
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Im thinking of putting some artwork possibly on the opposite wall of mirror and maybe a floor runner. With the artwork not sure whether to go for something abstract to work with existing artwork and end of entrance. I did have a print with pinks, grey but didn't quite look right. Black and White print or photos and frames???Any suggestions please.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Debbie,
    I would try an abstract , you could pick up a colour in your large artwork, I know you love pink (me too) you could go a canvas or a frame , either would work, similar to these colours would be stunning.
  • Sarah Sarah
    5 years ago
    Hey deb personally i would leave opposite wall blank as it will take away from your hall table and mirror. Less is more and sometimes people think they need something on every wall in their house which can look cluttered and busy. Your home is beautiful and you have done a great job.
    Debbie JAMES thanked Sarah Sarah
  • Sarah Sarah
    5 years ago
    The lamp on ur table would be nice and small group of decor items like small vase, bowl or candles. Items at different heights add interest. Don't overcrowd it though. Look on the internet for styling ideas or group a few of ur favourite pieces together. Then live with it for a few days as this helps u decide whether u like it or not.
    Debbie JAMES thanked Sarah Sarah
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Good morning, Debbie. Gosh, I really loved the way you styled your console and had it on the left side of hallway as your entry. I'm not sure I can explain it other than to say it was visually more pleasing. With the large painting on left wall of entry, it seems to dominate and the beauty of your console table becomes secondary and therefore not as visually pleasing. Maybe it's just me; seeing a photo isn't the same as actually being there, so trust your own instincts!

The nook you refer to, is that further down the hallway, where the large painting was before you moved it? If you leave that painting where it was originally, would your ordered console table fit under it? I love how that large painting drew the eye down the hallway, and it's certainly possible a console table would work there as well. Any chance you can share a pic of the console you have on order?

cheers!

• m_mdimond
    5 years ago

I prefer the second option it looks less cluttered to me, one again just my personal opinion I think a hallway can look cluttered with too much if adding larger art on the opposite wall so maybe use a 'test' one to see if you would like it you must have something else in your home of same dimensions that you could use as a tester?

That was you won't make a mistake after you've bough something.

My personal choice would be to leave it be there is the interest on that side and nothing else is really needed, it looks lovely the way it is.

Debbie JAMES thanked m_mdimond
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi m_mdimond thanks for your suggestions I have decided on not putting artwork on opposite wall after having a look on numerous websites and in stores I just couldn't find anything I thought would work. I may at some stage just get photos I have of grandchildren at put in really nice frames and have on that wall. I did a style quiz the other day which was pretty spot on with my style indicating I was a bit of a minimalist. So will leave as it for the moment and move on to another project which is not house related but planning overseas trip next year to Italy and Greek Islands.

• m_mdimond
    5 years ago

Good for you, nothing better than the thought of a warm country when it's winter, it is a beautiful destination, well actually both places are, good luck:)

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Sounds wonderful, Debbie! All the best.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Debbie,
    Lucky you, you will love those destinations, gorgeous parts of the world,
    Love that photo you posted of white lamp on table looking down to your large artwork, just perfect, really highlight ‘s your beautiful entry.
  • Susan Ballard
    5 years ago
    The plant should be near door where can get some light Does the table have s purpose or decor If use maybe glass not right type of table Don’t clutter One or two items one with some height Suggest colour glass over ceramic to use light
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Susan Ballard I love the glass table and I think it does look good where I have it positioned as it works well with the mirror. Your probably the only person that has suggested it doesn't look right but thanks for the suggestions anway.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    It’s a stunning table Debbie, the detail is beautiful.
  • Susan Ballard
    5 years ago
    Hi Debbie didn’t say it didn’t look right I was asking about purpose I had a glass entry table but with throwing keys putting mail Dumping stuff when coming inside I found I needed a more practical table but if only for look it looks good Wouldn’t overcrowd it just a fabulous statement piece
    Debbie JAMES thanked Susan Ballard
  • Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Susan Our front entry is only really used when I have guest we either go out the back door or via carport so that's probably why I thought this would be ok as an entry table. As we recently built our house im tying to make furniture I already had work. I also understood what you were saying about not overcrowding the table.

• Debbie JAMES
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Im looking at a floor runner for the entry not sure on whether to go sisal, patterned or plain. My carpet throughout is a light grey wool. Any suggestions please.

• m_mdimond
    5 years ago

Personally if I were to put a runner down the area I'd keep it either plain or a very soft muted colour palate maybe with the grey and natural colours as right now it looks quite classy so you don't want to make it to bold or in your face just soft and calming for the area to enhance it all as one look. I don't really think you need one at all as I love the softness of the area as a whole as it is, sometimes less is more but it once again comes down to personal taste.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I too like the richness and beauty of your timber hallway, but I also like runners and rugs for their practical purpose of protecting the floor. I think sisal would look good; it's simple and doesn't compete with elements around it. Here are a couple colours to get an idea how it might look:

The light one would be my preference as it still allows the eye to be drawn all the way down hall to your beautiful artwork.

• m_mdimond
    5 years ago

I agree with Anne re the lighter rug if you decide to go that way, it does draw your eye to the artwork which you have placed perfectly for that reason.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Oh, and a rug mat/anti-slip mat placed under rug! Cheers.

• PRO
    Moss Furniture
    5 years ago

Your styling is on point I think with a lighter rug the whole area will look amazing. Well Done

Debbie JAMES thanked Moss Furniture
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I just love your entry as is, your floors when you look from front door is stunning.
  • PRO
    Karls Contracting
    5 years ago
    Here is an idea. i made this hall table and mirror and wife dressed the rest