Houzz Logo Print
kalittlevil

loungroom renovation

Kristyn G
5 years ago
Hi all.
we are renovating the living lounge room which is an odd shaped room and were trying to get the most use out of it. serve decided to brick up our unused fireplace and wall mount the tv there. i need styling help. i love navy and white.. we have Gray couch .. going along transitional theme but what shoukd we do with the wall other than out a tv on it. the floor will be wooden planks as well with window seat on right

Comments (19)

• siriuskey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What a shame to lose a fireplace, it would add character and work beautifully with the Bay Window and your colour scheme. The TV could have been set at Mantle height. cheers

• Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes but was very large and didn't warm the house at all and gave us no full wall to work with as the other two sides are entries
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes I'll load plan soon so you can see.. thank you
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    if this makes any sense... we have the opening into the lounge from near frint door which is were photo was taken. thinking of bricking it up...then there is the other entry from kitchen.
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    more angles
  • scottevie
    5 years ago

Do you have plans to update the kitchen in the future? just wondering if the nook near the entrance could be utilised as a bar for the lounge room or if it might be better reserved for use as, say a walk in pantry if combined with the hall cupboard. I would be hesitant to eliminate the doorway between the entrance and the living space, as this would then redirect all the traffic through the kitchen. This might be ok if the kitchen floor plan is to change considerably in the future?

• Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes we are definitely changing the kitchen but dont know where to start.
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    we want to brick up near the front door and direct through to smaller living area as we dont have anywhere to run the couch along
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Hi Kristyn. The wall you are going to plaster over is a good size for furniture placement. I'm wondering if you had considered placing your sofa and side tables against it, and building out that little alcove (opposite) with some sort of combined bookcase/storage/entertainment unit, and mount the TV into the corner using a pivot bracket. I'm proposing this as it seems there aren't many options for furniture placement if you mount the TV to the fireplace wall.

Lovely idea for window seat. You could have seat hinged and use underneath for storage. I could see white shutters in that window. You could replace the striped brown curtain for a striped or patterned navy one perhaps, to get your blue and white theme happening.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

I agree with scottievie about not closing up the opening between entry and living space, at least until you have a firm plan for future kitchen renovation.

• Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes thank you. it is very hard to figure out our best options
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    I'd you are thinking of redesigning your kitchen, I would be inclined to completely opening up the whole area, with kitchen on one wall with Long Island and living areas either side of kitchen, you may have room for a dining table other side of island, just a thought
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i would love to do that
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Some inspiration, maybe a gorgeous navy sea grass wallpaper accent wall
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Maybe
  • Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes i think we need to redesign the whole living space and kitchen as its four seperate areas with a centre wall dividing it in a horrible way
  • PRO
    DrapeCo (Australia-Wide)
    5 years ago

One of my clients loves navy and white and has amazing photos on instagram and on her blog, she is mumlittleloves, though you may want to follow her. Here is a photo of her living space, we made the curtains for her.

• Kristyn G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you. I'll def have look