Houzz Logo Print
tracyoa

Balsistrades to support underhouse.

Tracy B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

HI, I am really lost. I have a tongue and groove house which is on wooden stumps. The house is "moving' and i had to get lock adjested so it would properly close .( it happens when change in weather.) That has been fixed , however i was told that i would need a balustrade to assist in holding a part of the verandah up underneath that area with out it sinking more. I have been told it may hold but i want to be prepared./ + there is simply black soil on this property. I could never afford to get house restumped. And I am lost on what to do, who to call, and the cost. Im just trying to keep basic maintence on house. not restoring or doing renos. Can anyone assist me

As you can see the stairs at front are fine but underneath the area (verendah) just with small window at top needs , i have been told a balstrade to" support underneath house" where window is, this is the best picture I have , and a stump is at the top of stairs also. Apparently it needs this as their is also a little 2cm area in the verandah inside. As it has moved also, Sorry about the picture but if you can vision the area where he postbox is. This is where i need help. I am Totally lost, have no idea what tradie to call , and how much i would be looking at. * I will never be able to do renos etc as the house has always been on a slant.and will never have$$ . I own home but I just NEED the basics done. and i have to get another entrance frame for another door as the back door has same issues , If you can help , it would be greatly appreciated. Tracy Byers.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago
    Whoever gave you that information is wrong. Balustrades do not support anything but a handrail as they go on top of a verandah not underneath. They are not structural. If parts of your house are sinking and moving, and causing doors to jam, then you should speak to a professional restumper. Even though restumping is expensive it will save you money in the long term as a door that jams will only be the start of expensive and ongoing maintenance issues. There is no point on spending any more money on your house until this issue us fixed.

If there was a cheap and easy way to fix house foundations moving by installing balustrades then we wouldn't have restumpers!

Best of luck.

Dr Retro
    of Dr Retro House Calls
  • Tracy B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Dr Retro.. I will have to round up this person who told me so. Thank you very much. As you can see I have no idea what to do. T.byers

• dreamer
    5 years ago
    Hi Tracey, as Dr retro as advised, you need to get a professional house restumping company to give you the correct information as to what is required for your home. I have attached some photos to show you a balustrade, used for stairs, balconies. And the underside of a home which has stumps laid into the ground and the house sits on top of these stumps. When the house needs restumping, it means that the stumps are deteriorating and causing the base of home to become uneven, and therefore need replacing. I hope this helps.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Just a thought, maybe your friend was using the word 'ballast' which is the word for stabilising a ship. Could be that they were saying that you need someone in the ballast trade.??