Houzz Logo Print
dan_cybulski

backyard garden design conventional 1956 home

Dan Cybulski
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

Landscaping the backyard and have decided to put in planting beds along the perimeter, see attached plan diagram below. Note 2 squares equal 1 m.

Property is in South Plympton in Adelaide and looking for ideas for plants that grow and are low maintenance in our region.

Block is only 15 m wide and I have read that garden beds should also be 1 - 1.2 m wide

Is that too wide?

And depends on what we will plant and that's where we have hit a road block! Have no idea what will suit and blend well.

The house is a 1956 cream brick, front yard consists of assorted colour roses on the perimeter and Santa Anna grass at the front of the property.

Spoke to a few landscape supplies and they recommend removing 300 mm of the existing clay and replacing some gypsum and fill with a premium organic garden soil. any recommendations and where to purchase from. Usually buy my material from Marion sand and metal, but i heard that Hollards are good too ?

Thinking of motored in bricks for the edging, but not sure on colour and what will match with the grey fence?

let me paint the picture for you along with photos and see what the experts (you) recommend

1. Here is the plan view of our back yard; above ground pool to the North, chicken house to the North West, Bird aviary to the West and grey colourbond fence to the East.

2. Starting on the East - color bond fence.

I ve been told that a vine would look good here, green foliage and white followers.

This is the first area you see when you walk out the door.

What do you think ? Looking for a statement piece here

Note pavers will cover the dirt area to square off to the fence

1. Looking to the North

Removed 6 T of concrete that surrounded the original fruit trees, so most of the area will be grassed.

Pool fence will be extended to the East, so the pool fence will be adjacent to the concrete path.

What ideas to plant along the pool fence ?

Maybe some green leafy plants and some colour?

Also want to screen the chicken house the the left of screen in the corner - Bunnings has recommended a hedging plant. What are your thoughts ? May something taller ?

Also any recommendations for a potted tall plant to put at the corners of the back of the pool?

1. Looking to the West - in front of the bird aviary

Boarder along the aviary - thinking of some native plants along here, but match in with the whole scheme.

To the left of screen - exposed brick wall... Have 1 m width to work with here, would something taller be suitable here.

Also in the picture below to the left of the bird aviary there is a mature bottle brush tree, was thinking if removing and replacing with a jacaranda...

5. Exposed brick wall

6. Orange tree in the middle of the yard.

Should we make this a feature? or remove?

Thanks in advance everyone, there s alot going on here, i'd appreciate your suggestions and comments please.

Dan

South Plympton SA

Comment (1)