Houzz Logo Print
webuser_242561905

Splashbacks for an upgrade of an older kitchen

Karen M
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

After obtaining quotes for total reno, and upgrade, I have decided to go with the latter. That is, keep everything as is but add new cabinet doors, new appliances (including fully integrated dishwasher), new benchtop and splashback. My question relates to the splashback in an older kitchen where the cabinet heights are different.

I'm thinking of a 6mm porcelain panel for the splashback as I don't like the look/thickness of 20mm stone around the window sill. However, as my upper cabinets are uneven heights from the benchtop, where should I have the splashback height along the window wall?

The current kitchen is 20+ years old and presumably the up/down/up/down height of tiles is what you did back then. New kitchens are generally all even, although the fact remains my cabinets will not be in one straight line.

How high would you suggest having the splashback along the window side of my kitchen? That wall is 3.2m (faces north) and the depth of the kitchen is 2.4m.

If it helps - I'm thinking basic colours for a classic look - white satin/matt cabinet doors (top and bottom), white stone benchtop, black handles and the splashback either having a white background/ dark vein throughout or grey background/white vein. Photo 1 is my current kitchen. Photo 2 I love everything about (including the open shelves) but suspect as I have a U-shaped kitchen and the splashback needs to go along 3 walls this may be too much?

x

Comments (14)