Houzz Logo Print
muranoartglassaustralia

Cyan Lighting Chandeliers - where are they really made?

As the worlds largest Murano Glass dealer, this is a constant battle I fight with EVERY day of the year. You may or may not know of Cyan Lighting. There are numerous websites and suppliers of Cyan Lighting, many of which are claiming that the Chandeliers they sell are MURANO GLASS. This could not and is not further from the truth. Please vista the link below to see what I mean. These Chandeliers are mass produced in Mould in China from Composite Glass or more commonly known as PYREX - http://www.amazon.com/Cyan-Design-Bella-Vetro-Blush/dp/B007JWNOFK. This link states that the Chandelier is made from the following "Composed of Glass material” which is PYREX or tempered glass and is the furthest thing possible from authentic Murano Glass possible. Tempered glass can only be shaped in Moulds not blown by mouth like genuine Murano Glass.

Unless the retailer can supply you with ironclad evidence that the Chandeliers they are trying to sell are indeed AUTHENTIC MURANO GLASS by way of one or more of the following, then they are NOT MURANO GLASS. Only glass blown in the centuries old furnaces in the Venetian Lagoon are LEGALLY allowed to be called MURANO GLASS but the Chinese couldn't care less about this so BUYER BEWARE. As I said, unless the retailer can supply you with irrevocable proof of one or more of the following, then the product you have purchased IS NOT MURANO GLASS

1.A certificate of Authenticity from the furnace in Venice which produces it. This is by way of including supporting documentation that provides you the purchaser of an ironclad guarantee that this was actually produced in Venice and can be tracked back to the furnace itself.
2.An attached Vetro Artistico Murano (VAM) label from the furnace which will be is the form of VAM023 for example
3.An attached PROMOVETRO CONSORIZIO MURANO label of authenticity
4.An applied glass seal from the furnace
5.An acid etched or diamond point signature of the furnace

I am in no way trying to effect other businesses who sell Cyan Lighting, but I am fiercely protective of the MURANO GLASS name, the furnaces that have been operating for over 800 years and the Maestros who must undertake a minimum of 15 years in a furnace before they can earn the right to be called a Maestro. I will NOT accept now nor will I ever capitulate to unscrupulous companies attempting to deceive and rip off customers by selling products that claim to be Murano Glass when they are simply something that could not be further from the genuine article. Just check sites like Alibaba, Amazon and other to see the plethora of unscrupulous sellers passing off Chinese knockoffs.

It pains me greatly that there appear to be retailers that are selling these items as authentic MG when they know that it is totally ILLEGAL, Immoral and down right wrong when they prey on the innocence and good will of the public and designers who think they are buying Murano Glass

Dean Cato
CEO
Murano Art Glass Australia

Comment (1)