Houzz Logo Print
littleblee

Timber deck or tiled concrete patio?

blee
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We were originally planning on constructing a timber deck coming off of our outdoor area downstairs, which comes off the lounge room & billiard room. However, due to the ongoing maintenance that timber decks require we are now considering doing a tiled concrete patio. We plan on using the same tiles we are using indoors to create a seamless flow from indoor areas to outdoor areas.

The problem is that when talking to my builder this morning he said that if we do decide to do the tiled concrete patio we will need to lower the height of the patio, by at least an inch, to prevent water from coming into the house. I am really disappointed now that I have found this out, as it will affect the seamless indoor/outdoor flow that I wanted to create. Can anybody verify what my builder has told me???? Do we really have to lower the tiled concrete patio to stop water coming in? Most of the patio is actually under the cover of our upstairs verandah, and I wouldn't think that water problems would really be an issue. I've attached a photo of our house so that you can understand what I am talking about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (8)