Houzz Logo Print
deedee2014

I need layout advice for small open plan kitchen/dining/living

deedee deedee
9 years ago
Hi all,

I have a small extension planned for my cottage which is 7.6 x 5 mtrs. There will be a step down of 2/3 treads from the original cottage.
The kitchen will be a painted white timber with butcher block timber bench tops (can't afford stone lol) and I don't need anything large and have purchased a timber kitchen I am going to paint. I am thinking of using a slim butchers block or island/table on castors or a utility table, open underneath to divide the kitchen from the meals/dining area. (it will be the only eating area in the cottage. 5 mtrs (16 ft 4 inches) wide is a lot for a kitchen and as you can see there will be a wrap around covered deck/verandah so I need to be able to put in a good bank of windows to let light in.

I have an old oval pedestal dining table I am going to restore using Annie Sloan white base and natural top. The 4 ladder back chairs will be painted AS white with padded seats and will be topped and tailed with 2 upholstered carvers (also on my to do list!) The style I love is contemporary traditional.

My dilemma is should I run a long bank of units along the rear wall (as it on the plan) with a slim island/utility table and then dining table in the middle of the room with the end space next to the steps the tv are with a comfy L shaped lounge OR

Divide the space (visually plan wise) in half, being; lounge then kitchen/dining and the kitchen/dining 60d/40k floor space wise (so to speak) with the kitchen then being to the left on the plan about 3mtrs x 2 mtrs and the rest for the dining table OR

Another suggestion that my brain can't compute!!

Any assistance would be appreciated because I feel like I am trying to do a lot in a small extension but I cant make it any bigger.

Regards

Dee

Comments (3)