Houzz Logo Print
alexproctorp

Front porch design

alexproctorp
8 years ago

We are working on a complete renovation of our house and have hit a 'brick wall' (no pun intended!) on what we should do to improve on the porch we have already. I've posted photo of the current porch. Aside from needing a good lick of paint, we don't like the mismatching white side light with the varnished door and the fact we get zero cover when we are opening the door on a rainy day (which happens fairly frequently in this part of the world). I wanted to see if any one had some ideas as to how we could improve without knocking the thing down and starting from scratch. Firstly, I think perhaps the door should be centred although this would require some stitching of the brickwork? I think the existing door on its own would look odd. Alternatively, we could either go for an extra wide door with a vision panel or add sidelights either side of the existing door. The door itself is relatively new from a previous owner (6 years) and in decent condition - could we strip the varnish and re-paint? What about the rain cover? The roof coverings are coming off so there is an opportunity to extend the roof canopy - possibly with or without some posts?? Thoughts/ideas most welcome!

Comments (9)