Houzz Logo Print
clarecazza

Is a small walk in pantry annoying?

clarecazza
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I really like walk in pantries! We are renovating, so was so excited at the prospect of having a walk in pantry! However, I'm not sure it's going to happen.... We buy food in bulk so need a lot of storage for dry goods and frozen.

The option for a walk in pantry is for a small-ish one - see option 2 on the attached. It's more like a big cupboard that you stand in! The alternative is a big (800mm wide, floor to ceiling) cupboard in the laundry for food storage.

My questions are:

Will the small proportions of the walk in pantry make it annoying to use? The space to stand is only 550mm wide... Or will I love it despite it's small size where everything is in front of you compared to a regular cupboard....? Anyone out there with a small walk in pantry?

I'm thinking the shallow shelves of the walk in pantry are more useable than the 600 or 700mm deep drawers/shelves in the alternative laundry cupboard. Comments re shallow shelves vs deep drawers/shelves given the limited space for a person in the pantry.

Another alternative would be to put the appliances (kettle, toaster, soda stream, milk frother) and microwave from the kitchen facing cupboard next to the pantry all in the walk in pantry. I'm not keen on this though as I think it would be a pain to have to go into the walk in pantry to make a cup of tea/piece of toast or a quick zap in the microwave.... There comes the question of what do you do in the kitchen vs what do you do in the kitchen (we aren't at all posh!)

Thanks Houzz-ers :-)

Comments (13)