Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Glass splashbacks - yay or nay?

8 years ago

They are pretty widely accepted as an easy-cleaned, inexpensive solution for a splashback. And there's no grout to worry about.

Harvey Jones - Shaker Kitchens · More Info

But are you actually a fan? Could their time be running out?

Please leave your reasons in the comments...

Yay
Nay

• 8 years ago

Yah's outweigh the nay's so far, mine is 10 yr old and still got another 5 yrs IMO, choice of colour is key plus choosing a kitchen that will stand the test of time or be easy to update.

• 8 years ago

I don't understand your comment about not liking the color??? You can have glass any color you want to,it's only limited by your imagination! As for the cost,you can get glass cut fairly cheaply from a glass place as opposed to a kitchen/splash back place and install it yourself which cuts the cost down dramatically....just make sure your measurements are exact!

• Related Discussions

Yay or Nay? Mirrored bedheads

Q

Definitely no! It is actually not good for energy flow to have a mirror anywhere in the bedroom, according to the ancient art of Feng Shui. I can see it's appeal, but it would be off putting I think.
    ...See More

Yay or nay? Mirrored baths

Q

A group of us (close friends) regularly take weekends away in various locations around Victoria. Just stayed in a very nice house in Phillip Island. Guess what? Yep, a HUGE floor to ceiling, wall to wall mirror in one of the 4 bathrooms facing........the toilet!!!! I kid you not! Thankfully it was not our bathroom. What were they thinking when they designed the otherwise lovely holiday house?????
    ...See More

Frosted glass doors on bath & laundry - yay or nay?

Q

Hi there, I think that the skylight would definitely be the way to go, if your budget runs to it. It will really lift the whole stairwell and make it much lighter and brighter. Full height frosted doors may be OK on the laundry, but I wouldn't recommend it for the bathroom as when lights are on in the room, you may be able to see more than you bargained for, from the corridor. The occupants of the house may feel comfortable with it, but any guests or visitors may not. A frosted panel at the top of the door would be as far as I'd go. Bear in mind too, that glass lets more sound through than timber, and in a situation like yours, I'd recommend a solid core door, for that reason. I hope this helps!
    ...See More

YAY or NAY? Charcoal colour mosaic instead of blue

Q

Natural is always nice but the pool will be a feature in itself...so would be nice to make a statement :)
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago
    i love glass splash back and putting a one in our new house getting built at the moment. they have that modern look. i chosen baige (pablo) colour
    8 years ago

any thoughts on clear glass over recycled brickwork, i believe it was done on The Block

• 8 years ago

They did do it on the block - 2 series ago now. They had to use silver 'spacers' at the corners, as the bricks weren't flush and the glass couldn't be directly applied to the rough brick. It did look good on TV. There would be a small gap between the glass and the brick and it depends on how well it is cleaned and sealed as to whether I would want it. If the bricks were a little crumbly still or there were small gaps in bricks to allow a little spider in behind and I couldn't clean that space - that would drive me nuts!

8 years ago

its my wife's wish, i do also like it but i do dread listening to her complaining about the little spider also.. a bit of ocd... maybe it needs to be removable.

8 years ago

i should comment on the original question, i voted nay. i agree with all the benefits, no grout, seamless etc but i think it is becoming too commonplace. a designer we work with always suggests to her customers stone as a splashback.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I chose a rectified Fossil limestone tile called Seagrass, 600 x 300ml, very thin grout lines. I didn't seal the stone, instead I clean it by spraying olive oil onto it and buff it off with a dry cloth. It gleams and looks fantastic. Obviously it wouldn't work with glass....

• 8 years ago

Can you try vacuuming it out from top or bottom, One Board?

• 8 years ago
    Ps we did it before the block.
  • 8 years ago

How did they get in to copy you, Wuffy?

• 8 years ago

Love the glass splash back in my new kitchen. It just natural glass (still with the green in it)that has been painted white on the back making it an sea mist colour.

• 8 years ago

I'm thinking glass splash backs (not mirrored) will become as timeless and versatile as ' The Little Black Dress '.

• 8 years ago
    Here is my glass splash back.
    Luke Buckle thanked Leanne Schuler
  • 8 years ago

@Leanne, by my memory, that was pretty much the same colour I had in my last house. Then i got the photo and mine was actually much murkier!

I dont really like it anymore.

• 8 years ago
    @luke. Lucky then it was in your last house
    8 years ago

I love glass Splashbacks! But sometimes tiles are so much more personal! You can create something that is very unique, even by using a small coloured tile, no-one else has it! Plus tiles also have the advantage, they are pretty cheap to change so you can face lift your kitchen every few years with new tiled splashback and new pendant lights and voila! New Look!

8 years ago

BIG YAAAAYYYY :-)))))

.....aaaand we specialise in custome- and handmade ones :-)

TURQUOISE / Backsplash · More Info
    TURQUOISE / Backsplash · More Info

FAMILY / Backsplash · More Info

FAMILY / backsplash · More Info

BRIDGE / Backsplash · More Info

8 years ago

I do not think there is a yes or no answer. I have had both and loved both and designed both in my projects. I think the key is what suits you and the project. Certainly being an individual is key!

• 8 years ago
    I like glass splashbacks but they have become over used
    Let's get artistic and give the kitchen that OMG factor with decosplash impregnated with fantastic art
    If glass desired then the colour backing will to be jazzed up with sparkling effects like crushed glass or metallic fragments, this will give depth and bring light into the kitchen
    Also if you include subtle ambient lighting then the kitchen will become a sparkling feature in itself
    With compliments
    Pat 4 Interior Design
    Canberra
  • 8 years ago

yes if they are printed...

• 7 years ago
    We had one made by a glass smith 5 years sgo, textured and coloured just gorgeous still love it.
  • 7 years ago

Love, love, love glass splashbacks, so easy to clean and if you want to make your own cheaper version, paint your wall whatever colour you want and have a glass cutter cut your splashback in clear glass to fit over the painted area, if done correctly and a few years down the track you decide you want a change, remove the clear glass and repaint in the new colour, refit the clear glass splashback, you can paint your cupboard doors to match or alternate the colour and voila, a new kitchen.

• 7 years ago

another way is too paint the glass itself,then you don't have to use any fixings you can see...

• 7 years ago

you can also have patterns,pictures etc imprinted in the glass itself,we have dragonflies in our laundry splash back and leaves in the glass on our font door (which looks a lot better than it sounds)

• 7 years ago

They're terrific, but don't overdo their application -- could look wrong/overdone.

Always use the better quality glass that doesn't have the 'greenish' tinge (too much lead content in glass) ..

• 7 years ago
    Leonie Van der Meer i love your kitchen colours! This is exactly what i am considering. we have existing charcoal floors and im leaning towards the blue/grey cabnets with wooden benchtops. ive just been thinking what colour splashback and yours is perfect! thank you for sharing!
  • 7 years ago
    We are having our smoked mirror glass splashback installed tomorrow, after the first one they tried to install smashed into a million pieces during installation! Gulp. Kitchen will finally be finished thank god, no more decisions, except wether to get money knocked off kitchen price or new cooktop and sink installed due to damage from glass explosion.
  • 7 years ago

Yes all the way to glass splashbacks! Easy to clean, available in may colours, easy to install and never fail to provide a modern look!

St George · More Info

7 years ago

I think mirror splashback works well and is an easy to clean option, tiles are also great for adding texture but not so easy to clean.

• 7 years ago

We have a glass splash back in our 13 year old kitchen (aqua colour), & though it's easy to clean, to me it lacks character! I'm thinking of doing a reno of the kitchen with long slim subway tiles in white with grey grout to end that clean grout problem. Any thoughts?

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have you considered ceramic tile which is cheaper and almost looks like glass? Here's what I did:

London - Final Photos · More Info

London - Final Photos · More Info

London - Final Photos · More Info

London - Final Photos · More Info

Inspired from the TV show, Blackish!

• 7 years ago
    What are people's thoughts about join lines in a glass spashback? Are they very noticable? We have a long bench so would have one or 2 join lines if we use glass.....
  • 7 years ago

We have a join in ours tully2012 as it was done by a family member who is a glass artist and it's textured glass,and each piece is as big as his kiln would allow. It looks great and the join is not an issue at all! I also have a very long laundry one in two pieces that looks amazing too...

• 7 years ago
    Thanks danikc. would you happen to have any photos you would be happy to share?
  • 7 years ago

Hi tully2012,I have taken some pics for you, the laundry is the purple one and is over 2 metres long with one join and the kitchen panels are shorter with a centre join.The kitchen glass also runs around and under a large bay window which has a join in each corner,I will try to add that as well.Hope this helps!

• 7 years ago

sorry tully2012,I forgot the full kitchen one!

• 7 years ago
    Thanks danikc for the pics! Really helpful in getting a understaning of what the joins looks like. Yours looks great!
  • 7 years ago

thats ok tully2012 and thanks! Ours is textured or slumped glass so smooth may look a little different but I still think joins are ok! If I were you,I would consider the textured glass as it doesn't show any streaks at all,I can just wipe with a damp cloth, same as the bench and its good as new! (I painted the back of ours myself, one with a dulux metallic paint, the other with murobond pearl paint, which I think covered better - this is a much cheaper option for glass...) btw, the glass is smooth on the front, the texture is on the wall side

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It must depend what you cook. I don't do fried, spitty type dishes and the grout around the largish tiles in my now 10 year old kitchen is as good as new. I rubbed car wax into the freshly laid grout lines, same as I did in the bathroom.

It also depends on how much light bounces around your kitchen, glass being so reflective shows up smears with light on it. Just above the kettle in the first photo is a good example.

Each to their own, I'm a non-glass girl whenever I can get away with it.

• 6 years ago

It is definitely yes. It look really good and it easy to clean. I got plain light grey but there is some graphic option as far as i know. I found my on ebay from seller prizmauk.

• 6 years ago

I would agree with Darren Palmer, I reckon we are on the back end of the glass splash back trend. If you are going to head down the glass splash back route, keep it as neutral as possible as it will date even quicker with brighter colours. Keep it neutral is my advice.

6 years ago
    I used to be a professional cleane! Glass splashbacks are not a horror movie more!Hand steam cleaning leave the glass spotless without any chemical!
    6 years ago

Glass seems practical and easy to look after. Definitely a major factor for people these days! A good alternative to natural or engineered stone if money is an issue. Saves cleaning the grout :)

• 6 years ago

Big Yes from me we have them in our kitchen and bathroom they look modern and sleak

• 6 years ago

I would choose glass over tiles and grout, but I prefer neutral, low sheen brushed stainless to glass. If my s/s gets oil splashes on it, it doesn't matter because I clean it with mineral oil which keeps it in great condition. Glass might be more difficult to keep glossy.

• 5 years ago

Any updates to this? I don’t want tiles so considering glass but don’t want the gloss. Ideas anyone?

• 5 years ago

You could try slump or textured glass, it still has a gloss finish but its not as obviously shiny as plain glass and its easier to keep clean - i can wipe mine with a damp cloth with no streaks at all,it always looks perfect,doesnt even need glass cleaner...

5 years ago
    In my opinion natural colours and materials are long lasting. Cupboards fronts can be changed for a new look, much easier than counter tops and splash backs.