Houzz Logo Print
stace242

Exterior renovation advice. To render or not to render?

Stacey West
8 years ago
I am unsure as to how to modernise the facade do our house. It is brick base and weatherboard second story. I was contemplating rendering the exterior but it is going to cost a bomb (although I have not totally gone off the idea).

We were also thinking of tiling the front patio which is a long large area. We have had suggestions of decking the front stairs as the bricks are messy. We will be replacing the front door with a new modern one and we will also be painting the house. Any colour suggestions? (I love beige stone colours as well as greys)

Any suggestions are greatly received.

Stace

Comments (14)

• Stacey West
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi georgi02,

I did think of stone cladding a small section. It is way too expensive to do the whole thing.

The quotes I have for rendering vary from $8 -12k not including the painting. If I can do something else to update I can use those funds on other renovations outside. Decisions, decisions.
  • Stacey West
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh that price doesn't even inc the back wall of the house.
  • jbantick
    8 years ago

I've not been a fan of rendering unless the bricks are mismatched such as on a major renovation. Or if the bricks are a painfully awful combination of colours.

Personally I'd render yours due to the poor brick colour choice/s. Not really a quality bricky way to lay bricks on end where you can see the holes either..... Shame really as brickwork does look good when done properly.

I would still paint the render though even costing more it has a lot of advantages such as lasting longer, colour choice, the colour stays the same where an oxide can change when wet from rain, etc.. Find a good renderer and be very careful as some won't mix the render correctly or even get it on properly..... The old school Italians (in many cases) were/are very good renderers.

• felmo
    8 years ago

You have some lovely big windows Stacey. Have you thought of incorporating some miniorb cladding over your existing bricks? If so, replacing the decorative balustrade design with simple marine grade steel would update the front of your house as well. It was the first thing I noticed but easily fixed. Because of your natural outlook I would perhaps paint your veranda posts a gum leaf green or soft grey/green colour together with the window frames. Because the circular deck and stairs are also a dominant feature I would perhaps render the circular brick or plant a simple fine leaf ivy that will sucker into the brick and soften the whole circular structure. And perhaps replace or redo your entrance stairs with a dark grey modwood which is indestructible in your bushland environment.

• felmo
    8 years ago

And perhaps ditch the white paint!

• bigreader
    8 years ago
    Id skip rendering. Use that money to remove the dated brick stairs and landing. Replace verandah and stairs with a wooden deck and more contemporary hand rail. Give everything a good clean and refresh the landacaping. Paint the upper level a more contemporary colour ie Grey or similar. It looks a nice home just needs a bit of a revamp.
  • lindarath
    8 years ago

I like the render idea. If you had it done white and then painted all the ironwork black, it would look very Miami Beach Art Deco.

• karenleonn
    8 years ago
    Don't render!! House looks gorgeous- spend money on the steps or plants or better still - a holiday!!
  • Christobel
    7 years ago

The Bricks are OK, if you like them, keep that round feature deck in the brick and render the rest, or stone clad the feature and render the rest, or cheapest of all just paint the rest in a dark warm neutral and render the round feature in a lighter but similar tone. You have the windows to consider. If you changed the colour of them you could also change the overall colour scheme from warm to cool. Although a black and white scheme is current, it looks better on timber houses and in suburban and inner city areas in my opinion. There are lots of different elements to your house which would look more integrated if you chose a warm colour scheme with a maximum of 3 colours. You can even make the bricks work if you paint upstairs a warmer colour to match them and changed the tiles and front steps to wood. Wood integrates everything in a warm colour scheme.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Don't render which is very expenive and a maintenance issue. Use money to enhance your house elsewhere such as an outdoor entertainment area, vergola roof or further landscaping. This was an expensive brick with character.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I would tile or do something with the end bricks with holes in them though.
  • PRO
    Wildly Illuminating
    7 years ago
    Just a suggestion if you go with rendering... It gives a beautiful finish on the house where a roof/eaves protect the top surface. However if you were to do the curved feature, without a capstone or similar to protect the top edge of the painted render, the paint almost always goes streaky and black/grey from the rain and pollution.
  • C P
    7 years ago
    I'd put down timber decking and fix the stairs first. Then replace balustrade with something modern. I'd consider painting house one colour (bricks and weatherboard) but maybe leave curved section as it is.