Houzz Logo Print
arisfj40

Need design help with backyard privacy trees along block wall

Aris
8 years ago

Hello,

I am new to houzz and a first time home owner in Glendale, CA. The back (west facing) side of our home is in need of tall (10-25 feet) evergreen trees to help provide more privacy. I am unsure of the type of trees already in place and whether or not I should replace all trees along the wall, or just fill in the gaps with the same or different variety of trees. Direct sunlight against this wall is only in the late morning and early afternoon hours.

I am in love with the old olive tree and would like to maintain it. The large ficus may end up being problematic, but keeping it for now as it provides nice cover.

• What type of trees are the existing ones along the wall? Should I keep these and plant more of them?
  • Should I replace all trees against the wall with a different type/better suited tree for privacy?
  • Should I just fill in the gaps along the wall with different types of trees and provide the yard with some variety?
  • Should the large ficus eventually be removed as it is only 20 feet away from the back part of the home/foundation?
  • Any specific things I can do to better care for the old olive tree?

Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated! Thank you,

Aris

Comment (1)