Houzz Logo Print
italiangal001

White glass or mirror splash back in kitchen??

Italian Girl
8 years ago

So I had my heart set on a white glass (starphire) splashback...but have been told by a few friends to get mirror splashback instead as it looks more modern???

My kitchen will be a white glossy Polyurethane kitchen with no handles and will be ultra modern looking. If i do get mirror , the mirror will be reflecting the open plan living/lounge room area.

I will also have a white glass fridge with a white glass sliding door to walk into the walk in pantry...so maybe the white glass splash back might be too much??

PS - The mirror splashback is proper commercial grade, so it won't smear or get dirty like normal mirror and can be used in front of gas cooktops ;)

What are your thoughts? Would love some feedback....thank you :)

Here are some example photos I found with mirror splashback and white mirror splashback....PLEASE HELP ME OUT.....Cheers :)

Comments (70)

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Go with your gut. We all have different tastes. You need to pick what suits you. I went with the mirror to breakup the white. I actually wanted a 'normal' looking mirror but when I looked at samples of it and the smoke, the smoke one looked the best. I have attached a photo of the two samples on my bench top. The splash back isn't installed yet so can't show finished product.
  • C P
    7 years ago
    Mirrors are a bit dated now I think.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with splash back tiles or glass and what colour??

Q

Comments (5)
    I think cherry glass would cheapen it. Have you considered a mirror glass, don't know if I would like to maintain it but others here swear by it. Tiles like Earp Bros suggested look good. I also like the glass mosaics but they might be a bit blingy for your room. I went back to laminate for my new kitchen and I really don't think you can beat it - it just looks so clean and uncluttered, and better still, it doesn't break the bank. Congratulations on a beautiful job.
    ...See More

Kitchen splash back

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi Hannah! Wow I love the kitchen! I wish I had seen this earlier so I could suggest but I love the grey tile, it looks like a successful choice! You could add a marble cheese board to the island. The grey streaky tones In the board will probably tie in everything else. You could then put a terrarium on top of the marble board!
    ...See More

Mirror or white glass splash back???

Q

Comments (4)
    I love the mirror splash back, especially if you have a view you can see in the reflection. My aunt has one in her home in Balmoral. GORGEOUS view!! I am considering the same question. My major concern is how quickly the mirror finish could damage in the context of a coastal location. It is VERY expensive to replace, but mirrors do get damaged - but maybe not when suck against a wall. Advice / experience / recommendation much appreciated.
    ...See More

Tiles vs Glass splash back

Q

Comments (10)
    When picking out colors I did have color consultant helping me and had the glass splash back winter calm picked out but now I would rather a tile. I was originally going for a sleek all white kitchen but decided to add the washed knotty laminex to the overhead cupboards but keep the rest white. I am having similar tone vinyl plank flooring through out kitchen and family room area. I was still thinking of a white tile???
    ...See More
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

hagan - What r those? silver and smoked mirrors?

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    The top is a regular mirror and the bottom sample is a smoky mirror.
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice..thanks

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    italiangal001 my smoky mirror splashback was installed today and it looks amazing. What did you end up choosing?
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't chosen yet - Kitchen still needs to be built...But i am now thinking of going back to white (starfire) glass instead of mirror

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Can u send a pic??? :)

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Will take one tomorrow.
    Italian Girl thanked hagan_38
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

don't forget!!!

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Haha I won't. Cleaners are in the house so will take it later today when they have finished.
  • dunchie
    7 years ago
    I love my mirror splash back and do not regret it one bit. I thought it would be a nightmare to clean but it's really not. Just a quick wipe with the sponge after cooking and there are no smears.
  • User
    7 years ago
    I think the glass will look beautiful. Stick to what your heart is set on and your own instincts. The glass is just as modern and far less likely to date. Your onto a winner.
  • macyjean
    7 years ago

"So I had my heart set on a white glass (starphire) splashback...but have been told by a few friends to get mirror splashback instead as it looks more modern???"

Are you undecided because your friends introduced you to another choice which you also like very much or because your friends introduced doubt that your original choice is a good one?

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    There are so many choices available and as we can see from all the posts, we all have different tastes. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things. At the end of the day be guided by your gut. It is your house and you have to live in it so pick what makes you happy. I found looking at different photos, showrooms etc your eye is generally drawn to one more than the other. Make your choices based on that. I will still put a photo up of my kitchen for you to look at though :)
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Photos as promised.
  • macyjean
    7 years ago

Great floor too hagan_38.

I wonder what floor italiangal001 has and if that is less or more compatible with any of the choices?

• telperien
    7 years ago

Looks lovely, hagan_38!

• C P
    7 years ago
    yes the dark grey mirror looks lovely, especially with the window on the other side.
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Looks awesome hagan - My floor will be big 60x60 Italian 'Lapato' tiles - I didn't want floor boards or anything else - Am i love with my tiles - Still not installed yet as concrete has to be layed first...But Hagan...your floor looks like what my parent have in their kitchen! They've had it for over 50 years too!! I'll take a photo to show you lol....

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My parents' 50 year old kitchen - look at the floor........

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My parents' 50 year old kitchen - look at the floor........

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As much as I love the mirror look...I think my heart is set of sticking with the white glass...as I've always loved an ALL WHITE modern sexy kitchen ;)

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

macymacmaples.......this is my tile

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Nicole K
    7 years ago
    My kitchen design is similar, except I'm
    Tiling to create some
    Interest and break up the very ultra modern look. If you are going modern I would do a splash back- not mirror - but I think it comes
    Down to personal preference both would
    Look great!
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    italiangal001 glad you have gone with what you love. That was your choice from the start so I am sure you will be very happy with it. My floor is an epoxy flake floor over concrete. No grout, non slip, doesn't scratch and easy to look after :)
  • Jenna Bome
    7 years ago

I love the white (later) look! It looks fresh, clean and simple!

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK...SO white (Starfire) glass it is!!!! :) YAYYYYY....it's been like 5 months that i've been deciding!!! Kitchen guy hasn't started kitchen yet...as concrete still needs to be poured...so until then, i might change my mind again hehehe

• Gayle Smith
    7 years ago

hagan_38, I do love your kitchen, especially the floor. If you don't mind me asking, what colour did you paint the kitchen wall and also, could you tell me about the floor? The name and colour of the floor? I would greatly appreciate your reply thank you.

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    Gayle Smith the walls are Dulux Natural White and trim, ceiling and cabinetry is Dulux Vivid White. One of the Dulux Pros recommended that combination. We are really happy with it. The floor is an epoxy flake floor that was a custom blend. I think it has been around for awhile but new to where I am (rural SA). The base colour is Dulux Colourbond Jasper with large bone flakes over the top. The paint flakes are a blend of white, cream, taupe and a slightly darker brown. It is much lighter when you see it in real life as there is a lot of white and cream. The floor is a textured finish. They seal then paint the concrete. Sprinkle the flakes, grind them back for a smoother finish then coat with polyurethane to give it a gloss look. It is meant to be very easy to look after, no fuss which I want. We live on a couple of acres and I have two boys plus two dogs who come inside. I didn't want to worry about my floor scratching plus it isn't slippery and there are no joins. It is waterproof too. Just ticked a lot of boxes for us. Happy to send you more pics if you give me your email address. We are also getting the alfresco done with it as well. The finish will just be more textured.
  • grazz1230
    7 years ago

Hagan_38 just wondering if your Natural white walls throw off a cream or not? im looking to paint my house at the moment.

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too! Hagan - If your walls are Natural White - What colour did you do your kitchen cupboards??

• macyjean
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"As much as I love the mirror look...I think my heart is set of sticking with the white glass...as I've always loved an ALL WHITE modern sexy kitchen ;)"

Then don't let anyone talk you out of something you've always loved. FWIW I think that while mirror splashbacks are very modern now they will be dated sooner. That's fine if you really love it. (I have things in my house that are not this year's trend or even this decade's trend but I love it and have no desire to 'update' it). If you choose something only because it was recommended as being the trend now you might well tire of it as soon as it's yesterday's trend.

• Gayle Smith
    7 years ago

hagan, thank you so much for replying. I would be very appreciative you sending me any more photos of your kitchen. My email address is gayle4380@hotmail.com.

• grazz1230
    7 years ago

italiangal001 what colour kitchen cabinetry have you picked and benchtop?

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    grazz1230 and italiangal my walls don't have a yellow tone at all. If you were to do just Natural white your walls would look very white. You can only notice the difference with mine as I have vivid white as a contrast.
    italiangal my cupboards are vivid white.
    I will see if I can find a photo just showing the walls.
  • hagan_38
    7 years ago
    This photo shows natural white walls in my powder room.
  • Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awesome!! Actually macymacmaples, the mirror will date more than the white glass. My cupboards will be white handleless polyurethane...and I'm gonna choose Ceasartsone Calacatta Nuvo as my benchtops :) hagan - My painter (which is my cousin) lol, also wants me to do vivid white ceilings..but I'm thinking of just keeping it the same and doing Natural white ceilings too as I don't like contrast...I prefer it to all blend....Dunno yet tho, will keep u updated ;)

• grazz1230
    7 years ago

thanks Hagan and Italaingal. I am in a world of pain at the moment. new kitchen is half in already. cabinetry lexicon quarter and calcutta nuvo benchtop. I was going to go lexicon qter trims and walls but now the trims are in my two year old white shutters look yellow. hence need to change trims to possibly vivid white and do walls in Natural white.

• clau2000
    7 years ago
    I've lived in a house with both and a mirror always looks dirty, the advantage though is that I can look at what's happening around me if facing the wall
  • macyjean
    7 years ago

"Actually macymacmaples, the mirror will date more than the white glass."

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

• Italian Girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

grazz1230...if you are choosing a white colour to go with your shutters, i wouldn't choose vivid white as that's really white. and natural white doesn't throw any yellow at all...Maybe look at the colour Antique White USA as i know that throws yellow - I've been going nuts doing research on "white" Dulux colours. Goodluck!

• grazz1230
    7 years ago

thanks Italiangal001. ive been going nuts too. i just want everything to look great with my new kitchen. my shutters are white to look at until you put lexicon quarter near them.

• hagan_38
    7 years ago
    grazz1230 maybe get samples of natural white and vivid white to compare against your shutters. The best one could then be used for trim and maybe see how it looks for lexicon to be wall colour as I am not sure how it would look with three different whites.
  • grazz1230
    7 years ago

I've decided to go with vivid white trims. They don't exactly match my shutters but don't look too bad. Lexicon Qtr just made them look awful. I'm really liking the sample of natural white and fingers crossed it will all look great in my new white kitchen. Thanks for all your help