Houzz Logo Print
martea01

How do I create an inviting entry room?

martea01
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Good afternoon We have moved into a new home which has a front door entering straight into the combined living/dining room. I have two challenges - I am keen to create some sort of entrance as when guests enter the house it feels like they walk straight into the midst of our home/privacy of our lounge and secondly the living area is very open and not very relaxing / does not facilitate conversation. I have attached the pictures from the sale brochure. The walls are now competency white and white shutters replaced the curtains. The living/dining split are as per the picture. In the living area I have a 3 seater leather sofa against the long wall, under the window and a single chair against the far wall facing the door entry. The rolling tv unit is against the wall where the tv is in the picture and is rolled 90degrees out when needed - not ideal, in fact I am keen to get rid of this to set. I believe I still need 1-2 individual chairs, rug and coffee table however have not yet purchased. A few things I am considering : - a open set of shelves positioned parallel to the door and in line with the stairs, to create a divider into the room. If so, how high and would it destroy the open flow. - positioning of the 3 seater sofa with back to the door and console table at the back of the sofa . Concern that it would make the room far too large and even less cosy. I would appreciate any suggestions re furniture placement and additional items to help solve my dilemmas. My Pinterest board is below to help understand my style. Pinterest @martea01 Thanks in advance

Comments (15)