Houzz Logo Print
clarissa7877

Ugly fireplace - what to do??

clarissa7877
11 years ago
I want to reface our "rock climbing" fireplace. Ever since we bought the house, I've wanted to reface it, but there were other projects that needed to be attended to first. So, now that I got the go ahead, I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it. It's so massive. Should we choose something more contemporary like a limestone or travertine facade, or go more classic by adding sheetrock and a travertine mantle? Ill probably update the drapery afterwards because it dates the room and us (we're a young couple who just moved to the suburbs!). The living room and dining room are one big space. Decor tips greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!!

Comments (80)

• PRO
    Louis Pardoe
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    $ 1350 in labor, materials extra... (416) 825-8510
  • PRO
    Oak-Land Custom Fireplaces, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would suggest taking down the rock, make wall flat and flush with the rest of the room and do a simple natural tile and mantel cap, this is usual-day-at-the-office stuff for us. Just make sure whoever does the work KNOWS fireplaces...lots of tile guys do fireplaces, but don't know what they are doing....when you take off the rock, your smoke shelf will have to be poured back.
  • Related Discussions

What do U think of the look of this tapware? Nice or Ugly???

Q

Comments (64)
    Beautiful bath. If you love the taps and shower head then go for it. Again, it is your house and you have to look at them everyday so pick something you love and don't worry about anyone else :)
    ...See More

Ugly window arrangement - what would you do?

Q

Comments (4)
    My house has these and they are great for breezes. I certainly wouldn't remove them. In one room I have double roller blinds, sheer with blockout. In the other room I have single block out roller blinds - over the top I have a floor length sheer curtain on the bigger window, then both windows have matching shorter valances. Hope this helps. BTW where I live in a sub tropical climate these windows are very popular.
    ...See More

What can I do with these ugly porch columns?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'll make a different suggestion -- go and buy a litre of crisp white paint , and paint 1 of the columns , and see how it looks . I reckon its the colour that is the main problem -- match the colour to those screen doors and it'll look better . Mind you , where do you stop -- personally I think the gutter colour doesn't help either , those tiles are dated , even the bricks are of a certain era . A row of square columns may help , but I think embrace what you have , go crisp white columns , maybe charcoal gutters , waterblast the concrete , make the most of what you have .
    ...See More

Ugly Brick Fireplace

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for all yoir great ideas. I had thought of a sky light and adding a second pendant light above the entrance stairs which run behind the fireplace. I would lobe to paint the ceiling and beams but its rough stained wood and will take a professional big job for that. So trying to see what other options I have. I may paint all walls and leave fireplace... maybe roughen the bricks by adding more mortar inbetween. Its been great to get some insight so thank you all!!
    ...See More
  • cindz123
    11 years ago
    I love this fireplace...it's the rest of the room that doesn't work...and i would take out the front cover and leave only stone. Hope you don't cover it up. Beautiful.
  • Jim Thompson
    11 years ago
    The fireplace reminds me of the Edris house in Palm Springs For less money and more impact you could redesign the room around the fireplace. Perhaps some dark wood smooth paneling? Keep the fireplace maybe change out the heating unit. It's a potential 20th century classic.
  • PRO
    House of Rocks
    11 years ago
    I'd have to agree. I thought the fireplace was very nice looking. With all of the fake stone out there these days, you really have something real and very unique that will add value to your home in the future. I'd think very long and hard before changing something so natural and unique.
    Like others posted, you would have to change the furniture to fit the fireplace which you may not like. Darker furniture blended with light wood furniture would really give it a lodge feel. I can't tell if it has been done but there are also various sealers you can put on the stone to bring out the colors and give it that "wet" look which may help as well.
  • clarissa7877
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all the feedback! I think I've been persuaded to keep the fireplace with some updates -new mortar, add chunky mantle, new firebox. (And maybe new paint!)

Also, I know the furniture doesn't mesh well with the rustic stone. I think I had 2 thoughts when originally decorating - 1) fireplace was going to eventually be updated 2) having grown up suburban/country furniture (which ended up being too formal, traditional and stodgy...basically a hot mess!).

So, I know the room needs to be edited and warmer tones added back to the room with maybe a few mid century pieces or worn leather. A mix of old and new. I'll be sure to post updates, and maybe get feedback as I edit the furniture in the room.
  • clarissa7877
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    One more question- I am really inspired by the photo hockey456 attached. Do you think beadboard or paneled ceilings would work in the room?
  • ashtonchic
    11 years ago
    We had a fireplace wall like yours that totally dominated our living room. We ripped it out (it was faux stone) and replaced it with a granite front that was appropriately sized to the firebox and sheet rocked the rest. We had a wood surround about 4 inches wide made to go up the sides and tie in to a mantle. We designed it ourselves and it fits perfectly. Lots of work, but well worth it.
  • Greg Drabik
    11 years ago
    a large peice of art on it
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    They actually make a product for the ceiling to resemble wood plank - bigger than beadboard scale / ceiling scale. That would be amazing on your ceiling in white or warm wood running with the rake / slope. One note for you and smalley - there are different profiles of grout too - overgrouting brings the grout out to the face of the stone and is what the good regrouted mantle above has. Smalley might like her stone more if she had more grout depth too.
  • Jim Thompson
    11 years ago
    Awesome idea to keep it. More sustainable. Drywall or gyproc is toxic in the waste stream. A solid stone fireplace like that today would cost 10's of thousands 0f $s. likely it will be all the rage in a few years.
  • patinthehat
    11 years ago
    Just my humble opinion, but I really love your FPL ! It has so much style, almost like an original piece of art. My grandfather was a stone mason, so maybe i inherited his love of stone. Our homes are such intimate personal spaces, though..... YOU need to love it. If you DO decide to make it go away, perhaps find a place that takes or buys Salvaged materials from homes, and see if someone else might want it?? Best of luck in whatever you decide - life is too short to hate what you see daily. :)
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    If you decide you really don't want it I would do something to cover it so the next homeowner may want it and all that would be needed is to remove what you use to cover it.
  • design4vikki
    11 years ago
    We didn't do anything to our rocks except give it a good scrubbing. However, we did cover up the rough hearth with a concrete-like plaster skim. I really like the "unfinished" quality of the plaster. Also, we took out the ugly mesh screen. Inside the firebox, we had a plumber run a perforated pipe and filled the bottom with fireplace glass. It's now just flames coming out of black glass--very neat looking.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    11 years ago
    It is a very large fireplace with some nice stone - maybe a little large for the room - but I think that if you simplify it just a little you might be happier with it. I would replace the tiles that are immediately above and below the firebox with a dark grey matte finish material - could be stucco or stone - and then replace the hearth surface with a similar dark grey matte finish. I used 2x2 concrete pavers for a hearth and it worked well. Then I would hang a large painting there - like a Franz Klein - to break the scale down a little and relate it back to your highly finished furnishings.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I say put artwork and maybe a mantle, at least for now. You may end up loving it and not regret changing. It is too beautiful to just discard. Go thru houzz and see the beautiful rooms with your style of,fp. Stunning!
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    11 years ago
    Tall, beautiful fireplaces can add so much depth and character to a room. Perhaps a mantle might be what's lacking...but a change in the stone color may help you love your fireplace even more. I definitely feel you need a mantle, possibly a wide beam style. And maybe a softer color of stone or a smoother finish. There is such a variety, especially with natural stone.
  • PRO
    Brown Bros. Masonry
    11 years ago
    one more with grey colored stone...look beyond the ugly, red plastic flooring protector.
  • Connie
    11 years ago
    I think that the windows either side at ground level, should be closed in/ made smaller. they are competing too much, and makes it busy. I can imagine it with walls either side, and bookshelves or couch pulled up in the front. It needs a solid wall around it to "ground" it into the room, if that makes sense - sort of looks like its floating, or about to topple over, because its so big/beautiful. But you porobably have a great view? Definately a big chunky mantle, and a picture or mirror (not the moose head, please)
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    11 years ago
    I agree with the Sheetrock idea. I would add glass mosaics on the lower half under a large modern style mantle.
  • janowins
    11 years ago
    Don't you dare cover that up!! Look at what it adds to the space. It's beautiful. Give it a gorgeous mantle and put shutters on your windows instead of the drapes and I think you'll be off to a great start!
  • fbal
    11 years ago
    Go for earthy paint scheme, I'd even go as far as add to the "stone" look of the room by getting some of these amazing pebble cushions, I they even exist in super oversized version for a greater visual impact
  • PRO
    Matt Patterson Custom Homes
    11 years ago
    I skin fireplaces I dislike with slab granite or marble, slate, limestone or travertine.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Wow I think you have an awesome stone fireplace you just need to link it to the rest of the room. Your daybed looks great too. Maybe consider a mantel and large mirror to break the stone up a bit. And then pick a rich dark tone from the stone and paint the dining room wall so the room balances.
  • SNZTH
    11 years ago
    Personally, I would install a larger fireplace and that's it.
  • sgurfein
    11 years ago
    Or you can try framing the bottom and keeping the upper part of the fireplace open....
  • Hayley French
    11 years ago
    I love it ... It is beautiful . Do a bit of research around the mantle but don't get rid of the rock. I agree with others change the rest of the room. Keep us posted as to it's fate
  • PRO
    Creative decor
    11 years ago
    I like the fireplace, just need to update it with a sleek mantle and I agree with a lighter grout color.
    I would lose the curtains and the black screen, possibly change heating unit and maybe resurface
    the hearth with a smooth solid stone. I like the photo hockey456 sent to you that look would look very nice with your furniture as well.
  • chrisclay
    11 years ago
    The craftsmanship is excellent, but the grout color is distracting. Not a fun job to grind out and replace mortar but worthwhile. A mantle or work of art to break up the expanse might also work. Check out work by one of the absolute masters of the trade, Lew French, for ideas.
  • bbw678
    11 years ago
    I am so glad I read this post Now I am going to keep my stone fireplace..the front is in the den the back in the dining room...Love the idea of changing the grout.. I am in the beginning stages of Remodeling the room ....I will use natural colors I even have it on my front door
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Glad to hear!
  • mariaguas
    9 years ago
    I have the same lava fireplace. I painted it and now love my kitchen.
  • smalley
    9 years ago
    Mariaguas, what an improvement! I think opting to paint it really works for the size of your fireplace. What kind of paint did you use? Did you paint the grout lines a different color? Thanks
  • diyher
    9 years ago
    smalley, there was no after photo posted, just a before
  • partim
    9 years ago
    My 1974 fireplace was large granite stones. Took them all out and used them to build a small but beautiful low rock wall in our sloping back yard. What was dated in our family room is gorgeous in the backyard.

I don't think that just because it's a natural item (stone, wood etc.) that it is beautiful in all uses.
  • mariaguas
    9 years ago
    Smalley, thank you very much for your comment. It took bravery to paint rock because you know you cannot go back. I used a white wash first to see if I liked it and to help seal the stone, then went back over it after the first coat dried (next day). Paint is satin not gloss and there was no grout. The fireplace still shows texture and is a neutral color for whenever I might decide to redecorate my kitchen. Love Houzz.
  • partim
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Just came across this interesting photo which has an orange-toned stone. Still I think yours is even more orange than this. The photos that were posted above mostly have much more neutral stone.

Before making the decision to work around the stone, find some pictures that use stone this color, to see if you like the end result. You may end up spending dollars and effort but still not end up liking it. Replacing the grout has to be pricey.
    Interiors · More Info

Betsy · More Info
  • homedepotgirl
    9 years ago
    Did you ever do anything with your fireplace? I have the same ugly fireplace, and I started working on it yesterday. I realize some people love rock fireplaces, but I think a lot depends on the rock itself and the room itself. Some of the fireplaces look great because the rock is a little more organized, better patterned, and the room is rustic or light and airy. For my home, the fireplace just seems overbearing and outdated, so I've begun covering it.
  • clarissa7877
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We actually had it taken down. I had a couple of masons take a look at the fireplace and they told me it was faux stone which made me feel less guilty of getting rid of it. I used this image for inspiration.
    http://thelittlecorner.tumblr.com/post/30095757254
  • homedepotgirl
    9 years ago
    Wow...great job! I think our fireplace is fake stone as well. I took a hammer to a few pieces that jutted out a little, making it difficult to cover with wood and they seemed to be made of concrete, not stone.
  • homedepotgirl
    9 years ago
    What kind of stone did you use for the hearth?
  • clarissa7877
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The hearth is limestone. Good luck with your project!
  • cthoyt
    9 years ago
    Love the stone and would not put a hearth for a contemporary look. Instead get a large piece of art and decorate in tones matching the fireplace. If you wanted to mute the colors of the stone you could glaze it with an oil glaze but proceed carefully. Would also darken the walls.
  • Joel Rosenbaum
    9 years ago
    Clarissa, kudos to you. I don't know what I would have done with the fireplace (looked pretty dated to me) but I'm glad you pushed forward in the face of criticism!
  • PRO
    Old World Stoneworks
    9 years ago
    Check out Old World stoneworks mantels. www.oldworldstoneworks.com, check out the gallery. There are several great cast limestone mantel ideas that would work for you.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    old post
  • vanandric
    9 years ago
    Mariaguas- what was used to paint your fireplace. Very nice.
  • Alternatives
    8 years ago

Is it real stone?

Are you going to stay here for 10 years or longer?

If it is real stone and you will sell in a few years I would consider keeping it the way it is or strap it and do something simple elegant and inexpensive, if that's possible. Then in resale you could always tell people they have a natural stone fireplace behing drywall.

I would not paint out if it is real stone again unless you are staying for ever.

• la gallo
    8 years ago

Don't touch it, it is timeless and very instyle now. I would love a FP like that. So MCM.

• Holly Foster
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You have a very nice space overall. I think the color of the fireplace could be lightened to soften its effect on the room. Maybe using a heat tolerant paint glaze on the whole thing....a soft ivory/tan/gray dabbed on it so that you can still see the color of the stone coming through underneath---it would just be softer and not so imposing. An appropriately scaled, simpler style mantel with some striking art or tall mirror above the mantel would make it sing. Also, I don't enjoy the look if the black firebox...
    that could be removed and maybe something else installed there that is more natural looking and beautiful. A no demo/structural solution would be so much less expensive and would utilize the original bones of the house. Good luck!