Houzz Logo Print
kayla_thomas3817

Paint the cabinets or just replace?

Kayla Thomas
8 years ago

We have this house under contract.

I love the house. It's old, stately, tons of character...but I don't love the kitchen. There's nothing particularly wrong with I, and I know it's probably someone's style...but its not mine. I feel like I doesn't fit the rest of the house at all. It's too dark. Too ornate. Too heavy. The finishes are too modern and mismatched the the rest of the kitchen. Etc. It just looks disjointed to me with the varying cabinet heights, and everything thats going on. Also, even though it looks like it has a nice big range hood, it's not vented to the exterior, so it's essentially a glorified microwave type of vent. Womp, womp.

That said, the cabinetry, though not my style, is custom and cost $20k (owner provided receipts). I kind of feel bad wanting to come right in to paint them knowing that, but I really don't like them as is. This house is a reasonable distance to a cabinet factory outlet, where I purchased what would be custom plywood box cabinetry, but was misordered, over ordered, etc. for our last home, painted it,and it worked out wonderfully and was less expensive than buying the unfinished builder grade press wwod box cabinets at Lowe's. The only thing is I don't REALLY want to jump right into a new house and tear the kitchen out and put more money into it right off the bat- maybe in a year or two.

What do you think, wise Houzzer's paint the cabinets without guilt, or just replace?

Comments (20)