Houzz Logo Print
amy_ruse

House Raise

Amy Ruse
7 years ago

Hello,

We have been house hunting for some months and we just found a great house in a great location for a great price. Only trouble is, its only one level and we always wanted two level living. My husband suggested we raise and build in under. We have the budget to do this (up to $300,000) after purchasing the place. After some initial research of our own, it seems a good candidate for raising but we plan to go back for a second viewing with a professional (builder?) to get some advice before making an offer.

My question is, what's the best way of undertaking a project like this? No doubt there are companies who oversee house raise and build in and co-ordinate all the various elements (council approval, the raise, design etc) and could we employ someone like this to come with us to view the place and give some initial advice? I am pretty good with project management, but I am keen to have as much guidance and advice from an architect as we can afford during the process and would love some recommendations for those with experience in this field. I am concerned that its one thing to create space, but that for it to be functional and beautiful is not as easy. I guess I need to know which you get on board first, the builder or the architect? And will having an architect involved in the project throughout blow our budget?

With the amount of house raising that goes on in Brisbane, I guess this is a very common question, so apologies if it's been asked before!

Thanks!

Comments (2)