Houzz Logo Print
cantcount

Kitchen Cupboard Design

Charis Elizabeth
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hi. We recently built our home - first home owners so at the time of the build we were unable to afford top cupboards in our kitchen.

Now hubs and I are going back and forth about putting a cupboard above the Fridge space. I am not really keen on blocking the fridge in - (because I don't think we will be keeping that fridge and there's no use building something custom around it. - what if we want to go bigger)

If anyone has any ideas on what layout for the top - it would be great. The cupboards are laminated but I am open to other suggestions for materials that will tie in with what we already have. Thanks in advance. (I am also from Australia and willing to source the right product).

Comments (23)

• Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I totally did not think of that - your a gem! (I knew this site would be a godsend). Thanks - I will do some research!
  • Related Discussions

Bedroom cupboard design

Q

Comments (9)
    The rest of the room looks more period and this wardrobe is very modern...... You could take off one of the robe doors and get a dividing upright panel put in and build in some drawers and open shelving for toys etc. on the front doors you could attach a moulding similar to that on the ceiling and with the correct type of paint you could paint the wardrobe to match the wall colour. I would probably change the door hardware to black to match in with the bedroom door. You could also get some funky wallpaper and paper the back panel behind the open shelves. That way you can change the look quite easily as your son grows quite easily.
    ...See More

Distance between front facades of opposite kitchen cupboards

Q

Comments (3)
    i believe you would be more comfortable at any age with a closer gap but it depends on the overall floor plan and any walkways through the space and position of all doors and appliances.....post a plan including the adjacent rooms to invite more specific responses...
    ...See More

new kitchen cupboards designed especially for storing pots and pans

Q

Comments (4)
    on the top line of this page there is a HOUZZ label on the left then a line with "search, advice, photos etc" if you write in "saucepan drawers" (or whatever you're interested in) a list comes up to invite you to click on options "advice, photos etc" and you should find photos like these...
    ...See More

Kitchen cupboards colours?

Q

Comments (1)
    You need to decide by taking large swatches to your home. The sunlight into the area will help you decide. Different whites will give different colours in different rooms. Only you can decide which colour is right for your situation.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Your very welcome.
  • inabunker
    11 years ago
    Oh totally agree, how cool would that look. I love open shelving.
  • kah416
    11 years ago
    Wow super cute kitchen!!! Here's an idea...not your colors but the overall idea may be nice :-)
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Open shelving is great when useable, but above the fridge, it can only be reached with a ladder. So I don't see the point.

CC, what is the issue you're trying to solve? Do you want more practical storage or display space? Do you dislike the look of the fridge? Right now, your kitchen looks clean, calm and balanced. I'm worried that shelves oddly floating over the fridge may detract from that.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I would put open shelves on the walls next to the fridge, not over it.
    Modern French chic; Kitchen reno, from conceptual to completion · More Info
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think I would just leave the fridge for now. I think you really need something built around it to make it look more integrated in the space, and if you don't want to box it in, I think I wouldn't mess with it. I don't know that shelves above it would help much as for me it's the open side that makes it look disjointed from the rest of the kitchen.
    I think feeny's idea is good for filling in some of the space above the backsplash where you would otherwise have upper cabinets.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well I actually thought my kitchen looked a little...bleh. It just needed some oomf to the space. I do want to be able to store but esthetically look balanced. my husband thinks were wasting space if I don't put cupboards over the fridge. (See what sort of argument I am up against). I think that having cupboards over the fridge will be too much. So its reassuring that you raise that point soborg... love the pictures people! Specially the pretty little liars kitchen. :) Great ideas. - thanks for the taking the time out to comment!
  • PRO
    German Kitchens
    11 years ago
    I agree with soberg. Also not everybody is a friend of open shelving. If you fill the shelves up with stuff you are going to use everyday it probably ends up looking disorganised. If you like to use it for decoration that would probably better. But keep also in mind this is you cooking area. Everything on the shelves needs to get cleaned more often because of the grease and dust.
    Think first about what you are looking for and make first your decison about a new fridge.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    I love the open shelves in my kitchen. The space remains open looking and it is so easy to access your dishes and glasses. The one thing you have to keep in mind when incorporating open shelves is that you need to keep it tidy and color coordinated. I happen to have all white dishes so it makes it easy.if you pan on replacing your fridge I would wait on the enclosure since you will most likely consider a counter depth model that will change the dimensions from your current situation. You can always make it look like a free standing armoire when you get it or simply leave it stainless steel for the industrial look.
  • PRO
    German Kitchens
    11 years ago
    If you are looking for a new fridge you could consider a fully integrated model and continue with wall cabinets like regular doors, lift up doors, or fold up doors.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think for me it would probably be decoration if I was to have open shelving. I have ample pantry space for general cooking stuff and great cupboards opposite the oven. Very valid points to consider. If I was to get cupboards up the top - that went the whole way along (minus the fridge space) would anyone have any ideas? There's some that incorporate open shelving as well as the normal cupboard but should I really leave it as is?? I just felt that it would be better to always have more storage if someone was to come in and buy later.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion German Kitchen. That's something to consider but something way out of our price range. Being from Australia the prices of things are not very competitive for products.
  • User
    11 years ago
    How much space is there between the fridge and the counter? Just an idea - if there is space could you put a narrow set of shelving in that spot? Maybe it's just me, but I am more concerned about that space than the space above the fridge in terms of look.
    Here is a pic of what I had in mind - I had to check to make sure I was not completely off base ;)
    Global · More Info
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sam..... You are amazing!!! What an idea!! Hadnt thought of that either. :) there would definitely be enough room. I attached another picture (excuse the mess) from more of a front on.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Great! We had a fridge/cabinet size mishap in our kitchen remodel and long story short our fridge is too short for the space in the cabinets but we are stuck because we are very limited in terms of width and depth of the fridge. So rather than adding a finishing strip to fill in the space we created a shelf and filled it with cookbooks and I actually really like the way it looks. The kitchen is otherwise very white and contemporary like yours.
  • PRO
    German Kitchens
    11 years ago
    I would not leave the place like it is. It looks like something is missing. Do a little change.
    You could consider shelving now for your decoration and still change later to cabinets.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    wow.. wow... wow... now they are some amazing cupboards. Sam - thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Madeline
    11 years ago
    Gee, I'm sorry but right now your refrigerator sink wall looks exactly as it should and any shelves added can't truly be for storage because as I've noticed since these open shelves became popular is that they are more for display purposes than for true storage, and because of the logistics, especially the kind of things people tend to store high up above the fridge -- holiday platters, fondue pots and other stuff used once or twice a year. What does your husband want to put in that storage area? Does he have a point? (Is he a DIY-er itching for his next project.) Do YOU worry about lack of storage? In any event the place to install display shelves would be in the open wall space between the vent hood and the refrigerator. Because otherwise I like the look of your modern kitchen exactly as it is. Good luck from the opposite side of the world!
  • Charis Elizabeth
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well I think my husband mainly wants to hide the chocolate stash away from me as where I would use it to store vases and everything else that you usually keep in the top of the pantry(you only get out once or twice a year). He does have a point but I am worried about boxing ourselves in - no room for growth. He is definitely not itching for his next project (we have been working weekend, after weekend on this house - decking, paving, etc) I worry about the lack of storage. Mainly because I really just like to finish a room and move on. Because I use this space every day its annoying me with how uncompleted it feels to me. I do think it needs something to finish it off and look complete. But I'm glad you like it though Madeline :)

I have been researching with what people have suggested and the main trouble I foresee having is actually getting the right product delivered and available. Most don't ship to where I am (I live in a small coastal city) and its about 5hrs drive from the only Ikea in the state or I will have to wait 8 weeks for delivery from over east. So I really have to plan it right. I am reading the reviews on open shelving... well lets just say that is interesting.

Thanks again!
  • vkilpatrick
    11 years ago
    I would just add a smashing, colourful piece of art...it's so rare to see negative space in a kitchen with some art. It would look very high end and luxurious!!
  • Madeline
    11 years ago
    As a coincidence I received my Lowes (a home improvement store that I'm not sure has made it to Australia yet) spring newsletter. They had an owner add shelfs and the suggestion was to have the countertop installer make the shelves in the same material as the counters. (Yours would be gray). Then secure them to the wall with shiny stainless or metallic shelf brackets to pick up on all of the stainless steel in the modern day kitchen. It seemed defined to fit your kitchen. Good luck with your plans.