Houzz Logo Print
haliadelaide

What size Rug do i need?

Hali Rugs
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

One of the most asked questions we get is "What size do i need?". We have a guide and i say its a guide because at the end of the day its completely up to the client what size they should put down however our guide 9 times out of 10 what the client with agree on once they see it in situ.

There are a few general rules to go by when selecting a rug and it all depends on which room you are selecting for.

For instance if you are looking to put a rug in your family room and you have for example a 3 seat and a 2 seat sofa at right angles and these are all floating (not against walls) in and open plan room then you need to go for the largest rug usually a 360x270 although more commonly now 400x300 is becoming a more popular size.

For a queen or king size bed in a bedroom then you should start with a 300x240 or 360x270 depending what the pattern is or how you want to display the rug.

For a dinning room with a 6 seat table or above you want to go for a minimum 300x240. I often explain to my clients that it is most important for your guests to be on the rug at all times however the head of table is usually the hosts most often up and down serving etc. so you can get away with the 300x240 but ideally a 360x270 would look best.

Please see the Hali Rug Size Guide for ideas.

Comments (2)