Houzz Logo Print
jameshelley

Styling tips for lounge

Shelley
7 years ago
Am after some advice on this lounge room.
1. What rug
2. Should we mount the TV above fireplace
3. Where to put the piano
4. What artwork do we need

Thanks so much.

Comments (18)

• Khanh Nguyen
    7 years ago
    Ah such a nice bay window, you should consider moving the lounge away - it'll lighten up the room nicely!
  • Sammy Elder
    7 years ago

Gorgeous floor in a lovely room, lucky you. Your rug should tuck under the edge of both lounges, perhaps a sage green or pale burgundy if you'd like to add some colour, otherwise a neutral taupe. A big no to the tv going above the mantel, it will be too high and will detract from your gorgeous fireplace. Perhaps swap the tv and piano and move the lounge from in front of the bay to the other side of the room so it's back is facing the door??? Always hard to tell exactly how things will work from a couple of pics. Artwork is very personal (as is most interior design as we all have different taste) I'd suggest finding some pieces you love and see if they work in the space.

• Cheryl Kingsman
    7 years ago
    You have a beautiful floor and bay window but nothing else pops. The lounges look to big because they are both the same size. Also the furniture is all the same colour. I would use two chairs in the space upholstered in a modern fabric that mixes old with new.
  • scottevie
    7 years ago

If it is practical to place one of the sofas elsewhere in the home, then a couple of armchairs in front of the window with a small side table between them would be lovely. I would leave tv and piano as is.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

i like the lounges, TV and piano to stay in the same positions with the TV mounted in storage built across the corner from beside the fireplace almost to the door but no higher than the mantlepiece and a patterned rug with bright scatter cushions

7 years ago
    I agree with other comments. It is such a shame to cover up the bay window which is a lovely feature of the room. If the sofa covering it could be moved to the other side that would be great. A small table and accent chair would be lovely inside the bay window. I don't think the TV would really detract from your fireplace but it may be too high for comfortable viewing.
    A lovely room by the way.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    How about moving sofa so they face each other and TV on the wall opposite fireplace. Nice big Persian rug in Persian pink colour and a large Arc floor lamp . I would move piano in the opposite corner where the Tv is now. Mirror above the fireplace. Artwork for the other walls.
  • Shelley
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great feedback everyone. We did have the couches facing each other but they blocked off the room too much.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    How about sofas little bit on an angle so they face the wall it would open up a walk way , but piano would have to go on the opposite wall.
  • KK1000
    7 years ago
    And I would change coffee table to Noguchi one.
  • petapea
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Lovely room! :-) I would remove one of the lounges (the one blocking the bay window) and replace with two armchairs which you could place at an angle either side of the window. You could choose chairs to complement the rug colour you choose, and you could go traditional armchair or more modern design depending on the look you are after. A more modern coffee table design as suggested would also add interest, and a circular mirror above the fireplace will soften the hard angles of the rest of the room (so will a rounder coffee table design). If you can squeeze a large plant somewhere in the room in a nice pot that would also add life to the room. Would love to see a pic once you have styled it!

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Beautiful room. I think it needs a large rug to tie in the stunning floor with black lounges and furniture. Some tone rather than pattern ideas below.
  • Christian Biggs
    7 years ago
    1. The walls and curtains are very neutral, so you need colour. I'd suggest replacing the couches with a bold color like teal 2.5 seater and then 2 arm chairs in neutral colour, then add pillows to armchairs to match colour of sofa.
    2. Get a large rug, others have made great suggestions.
    3. Get a much bigger mirror for above the fireplace, it should be as big as you can get.
    4. Slightly bigger coffee table, maybe glass to show off the rug.
    5. Get a small side table to go near the couch and arm chair(near where the floor lamp is). Alternatively you could put it between the two arm chairs.
    6. Replace the floor lamp, need a modern take on traditional. Perhaps get a table lamp to put on the side table instead of a floor lamp.
    7. TV should stay there, so it's not the first thing you notice, maybe it needs a little bigger unit to sit on.
    8. Then finally get some artwork to tie in the style and colour you choose.
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I think you can easily work with the black couches which also look very comfortable. I note changing them was not part of the brief.
  • PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    7 years ago

The main assets of your space are the beautiful flooring, the bay window, and the fireplace.

The couches need to be rearranged to incorporate the bay window into the space instead of blocking it. This would make the room feel much more spacious and elegant. To that end I would swap the piano and TV as others have suggested.

I would also get rid of all the beige, which makes the room rather drab. Either leave the curtains off altogether, or have sheer ones in a tertiary colour with matching cushions to make the room brighter.

The floor needs a rug for softness but I wouldn't make it too large, possibly a sage green persian one, but with a discrete pattern.

I would also replace the coffee table and TV unit as well as the ceiling light and corner lamp with lighter funky modern pieces - this would not necessarily clash with the more traditional feel of other elements.

The fireplace might have an interesting classic design but it is totally lost in blackness! I would paint it white, same as the walls to make its design stand out and also make the room brighter.

The baroque mirror over the fireplace looks totally out of place and only reflects the ceiling. A large full height frameless mirror for the wall over the fireplace would make the room feel much more spacious.

I would limit artwork to a few larger pieces with simple or no frames. A large painting on the wall opposite the fireplace would be reflected in the mirror/wall over the fireplace and enjoyed from most angles of the room.

• KK1000
    7 years ago

Totally agree with above comment,swap TV and piano and arrange sofas in L shape on the opposite side of the room so that sofa against the wall is facing Tv , push it all the way up towards the window, small side table in between them and you will have enough traffic room in front of fireplace.here are some ideas for light fittings. Please show us your final solution to this problem.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Do you watch TV in the early evening or during the day? If so you would need to close the curtains each time due to glare. Unfortunately, especially with TV's, it is hard to balance practicality and style sometimes.