Houzz Logo Print
janetelizabeth_cronin

Help with bathroom layout and exterior door

JE C
6 years ago

Dear all,

We are planning a new extension to go on the back of our federation villa and I would love some feedback on one of the layout ideas that I had for our family bathroom ( there will also be an ensuite and powder room, we are a family of 4 and expect kids to be at home for at least another 10 years). This version of our plan puts the family bathroom in the new extension to optimize on costs. In the plan above, the original part of the house ends where the study wall meets the bathroom wall. ((The new extension will include a kitchen, dining, living, powder room, utility room (butlers/laundry off kitchen) which are not all shown in the plan - my brain can only cope with thinking about one area in detail at a time.) Ideally I want to have a door to the outside from the new bathroom so that wet children can go straight from the pool into the bathroom so that they don't drip through the open plan area.

I have 2 dilemmas I would love help with.

1. Is the layout sketched above ok, as long as I keep my shower and vanity to reasonable size (ie not too big) - or should I switch the toilet and shower and simply have a "single pane" shower screen? I am thinking the bath would be about 1.75 m long so would need to go diagonally as shown to give enough access to the door. I don't have scope to make the bathroom any bigger as I am not permitted to get any closer to the boundary (at bottom of picture) and I don't want to eat into the open plan living space as this is hemmed in by the existing pool location. Thoughts?

2. The second dilemma is - does it look funny to have am external door in a bathroom and what should it look like? I have search on house for bathrooms with exterior doors in bathrooms but it didn't make me any more comfortable. Any photos of similar would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much, Janet

Comments (10)