Houzz Logo Print
erin_huffman7

Shutters and landscaping advice!

Erin Huffman
6 years ago

Hi all! My husband and I just bought our first home last fall. We have been working on the inside and haven't really touched the outside yet, but would like to start making some improvements there as well. I have been scouring Houzz and noticed the distaste for faux shutters that are the wrong size for a house! Mine definitely are, but I am worried that my house will look like a big white box if we remove them. The shutters help tie into the front door. Any ideas? I am also looking for help with landscaping. The changes we are already planning to make include:

1. A better walkway that extends further down the driveway to make getting in and out of cars easier.

2. A new front door with windows to allow more light into the dark entryway. I like the black color, but am open to other color suggestions.

3. I want to clean up those beds around the house, but am clueless about plants. I know we are in zone 8-9ish. I think we need more color. My MIL keeps saying that the bed around the tree is too small for it...should that be expanded? It wouldn't leave much room between the two beds if so. Any landscaping ideas would be welcomed. Thank you!

Comments (25)