Houzz Logo Print
tyriantiger

Floor Plan Dilemma: S.O.S. to OKL & SK!

Tyrian
6 years ago

Hi lovely Houzzers who enjoy design issues - especially OkLouise & Siriuskey!! I have an issue with whether to keep our hinged door to kitchen. We need to align our interior walls to the windows and we have ordered them already. Do we nix the door? Or just make sliders smaller? :-/

Also I do not like the master bathroom layout! We have been trying to keep the original walls and window but the layout feels wrong and cramped. I do want a bath next to window however, but could slide it down.

Do you have a suggestion? I was thinking to knock out walls to WIR and between bedroom and bathroom after all. A longer narrow bathroom with double shower where the current WIR is (nice skylight there) and replace the old built in shelving with a smaller WIR that separates bathroom from bedroom.

Thanks all - this is doing my head in!

Comments (13)

• oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

unable to read the correct measurement here's my suggestion for the ensuite and other bathroom but please correct the room measurements so that i can correct any discrepancies

and, if you have sliding doors to the outside then the hinged door is not necessary and could be replaced with a tall double hung window for ventilation or "nixed" but think about where furniture will fit before deciding how to place the sliding doors and windows BUT have the stairs already been installed? please explain the walls around the dining area? the purpose of the space between the laundry and stairs? and what is the room on the other side of the stairs with the door opening from the small bedroom??

Tyrian thanked oklouise
  • Related Discussions

Open plan living space at entry dilemmas

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, that's a very tricky layout! I love OKlouise's change to the laundry and kitchen! I can see why the TV won't work though. I don't think there's any perfect solution here. What about some open shelving, housing the TV, coming out adjacent to the garage door - this will block an unsightly door way and create a bit more of a nook for the living room. As a slight adaptation of OkL's plan could you put the TV on an angle behind the front door and move the furniture around to suit, perhaps? And another idea - getting the TV off the floor and onto the wall would help enhance the feeling of space - you could keep existing furniture arrangement and invest in a bracket that swivels the TV out from the 'garage door' wall, it'll be closer for viewing, then you can push it back flat against the wall when not in use. Best of luck! :)
    ...See More

Do ceilings and walls need to match in an open plan

Q

Comments (32)
    I would prefer to see both ceilings matched with shiplap, to help tie the space, we all tend to look up. This would also mean that the wall between both rooms can be removed and therefore make the room appear bigger, as the height of the ceilings in each room will make them appear smaller if the wall isn't removed
    ...See More

Help! Floor plan dilemmas

Q

Comments (12)
    Without all dimensions and aspect the following suggestions Opening up the living space with a large 3m x 900 island. This area may need a support beam or post to allow the span. Bedrooms 3 & 4 could open up to each other with bed 4 being a MFR.
    ...See More

Need an advice on my floor plan

Q

Comments (30)
    The second option has a toilet blocking the hallway?? If that was removed people could easily access the toilet opposite the laundry. And the activity room is a passageway - just a maze of doors and openings so virtually no use at all. And no bath tub in a house that large? Maybe nobody in your family uses a bath but I think when it comes time to sell you'll find that a huge negative for buyers. I do like a big scullery and a smaller kitchen, but I take OKL's point that it's unusual and, again, it might be a negative when reselling even if you prefer it that way. OKL's design is excellent. Your third toilet is easily accessible from outside, which is a big bonus. The bathroom offers privacy for multiple users at once but everything is together, which is much better than having the toilet a long way from the shower. And she has put a bath in. There is a nice study nook close to the kitchen for easy supervision of children doing homework. And the kitchen is family-friendly. Plenty of storage space and the scullery opening to the alfresco will make entertaining easy. No wasted space. I think it's a great design.
    ...See More
  • Tyrian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great to have you see this and reply, thank you so much! AND a massive Happy Birthday to the amazing Siriuskey!! So glad you are having a lovely day, honoured you dropped by on this special day :-D !!

Yes, sorry for not giving context!

The old house is a long narrow ranch house which OkLouise you have shown exactly the old section beautifully in your plan (with furniture!). The new extension being the rectangle with kitchen laundry etc.

The reason for lots of rooms is that we will eventually be turning the whole left side of the house into an SEPARATE apartment for a grandparent ('Sitting' will become kitchen). Also, the front guest room in middle is a therapy room for me for work, so I need the toilet to open to that to avoid clients going into the extension.

The master bedroom/bathroom/wir annex is, therefore, the only part that will change in the extension apart from that.

OkLouise re Master Bed Annexe - I can see this is a good idea in that I wouldn't move change too much, but make better use of the space!

Though I can't move the Master door (towards the passage) as there is an attic entrance with pull down stairs up in the ceiling exactly there.

Sirius I agree that the toilet is unfortunate, but I don't have the budget to move the toilet really or change too many walls - or would definitely widen passage.

So toilet under stairs, can't do, and, let me know what you think... I am putting a gas fireplace UNDER the stairs in the void. Perhaps weird, but I had a Feng Shui consultant go over the plans and it was the only place deemed 'appropriate'. So this will be a transitional space with a mudroom, a fire and a place to read and enjoy the void??

Purpose of space between laundry and stairs: The piano will go against the stairs in the passage entrance area (opp laundry).

Cooktop opposite sink. And the reason for bench not being all the way is that I will make a computer desk in the corner where the hinged door is. (Gotta keep an eye on those kids and what they are watching on the computer!)

Re hinged door to kitchen, I am inclined to agree re nixing the door but as we are doing Binq sliders which are heavy timber-framed sliders I was just concerned about not having a hinged door to duck in and out of easily.

• Tyrian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is my (not metric!) intuitive version of an Master Bedroom annex. Is this at all workable in your view - thanks for considering.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

you need to double check your measurements but your bathroom will fit if the measurements are exactly as shown...the bath, twin vanities, toilet are all generous sizes but any changes will affect the entry to the bathroom and encroach on the shower space, the WIW allows 50cm hanging space all around with 1m wide walking space and the dotted line in the hallway shows the original position of the wall which has been moved to allow a more generous hallway

Tyrian thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there Tyrian, thank you so much for your lovely birthday wishes, I'am still recovering!!

Still not certain which walls you were having to line up ?, why the walls in the kitchen dining stairs space wouldn't this be better as one space, except of course the stairs which you need to be able to close of so as not to lose all the heat upstairs.

The gas heater under the stairs sounds a bit strange, what happens to the flue and the heat will all end up upstairs? Would the piano be better there.

I would keep the single door opposite the kitchen, what with the appropriately placed kids study desk that door will get plenty of use.

Very impressed with your forward planning to include parents/family members, parents give so much to their kids so it's wonderful to see someone like you planning to give back, full marks cheers

Tyrian thanked siriuskey
  • Tyrian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry not to get back immediately! I am so thankful oklouise for the drawing! Amazing! I think the dimensions are correct so would work. Would like to widen the passage but it depends on how much it costs.

Lol Sirius, glad you had a lovely birthday, good for you!

Thanks for the full marks, I am grateful to the senior one as this project would not happen without them, but they also need help so it is definitely in both our interests. And they already are living with us in our little rental - it's a bit stressy so as you can imagine I am keen to move ASAP on the extension.

Re the walls, yes the idea was to align the internal walls with external walls, which are a bit off. The internal idea is new and architect is away so just added with out adjusting.

My partner does not like open plan so much and wanted some relief from noise and smells. He wants half walls with big sliders internally so we can open up or section off.

And I agree the fireplace is weird.. still pondering on that - I will think on your excellent points as the heating issue is kind of problematic..

Partner also wants to keep hinged door if possible so we might just have the sliders made narrower to accommodate.

Thank you for your thoughts!!!! Happy recovery and I appreciate all comments from anyone who has time, thanks it really helps.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

1.consider having a hinged door at the end of the sliders..all in one unit and 2. you need to double check the options for the gas heater because the flue needs to come out under the floor (or go through a new upstairs room) and the flue can't come out close to doors or windows so i've included a new space for a heater and hope the Feng Shui consultant will be able to offer some suggestions to counter any negative impacts 3. i don't think that there's enough headroom to have the heater and chairs and a walking path and wall space for coats etc under the stairs but there should be enough for a simpler staircase as well as space for the piano and 4. having an enclosed lounge area makes more wall space for furniture for both dining and living areas and 5. there's enough space to add a little to the length and width of the laundry and pantry and 6. the existing kitchen has very little counter, storage and walking space and my suggestion offers alternative options for the quick access hinged door, IT nook, central island and observation to the rear garden

7. a better variation for the master suite that moves less walls and windows, provides more wiw with wider doors open to include the hallway dressing area without sacrificing the size of the master bedroom
    btw what is the writing in the pantry???

Tyrian thanked oklouise
  • Tyrian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oklouise, very interesting take. 1. Could work to add door to frame, but as they are heavy I am not sure, I will check with the company if it is possible. 2. Yes, I don't know about fire under stairs idea, I was thinking that the flu would go up behind the stairs somehow.. also was considering just moving the fire to this wall, a double-sided fireplace would be very lux! (I think maybe that adding a fish tank would negate the impact of the fireplace ;-), I will ask). 3. The mudroom is really important to me as currently we have a pile by the door and plastic hooks that keep breaking! I agree it's not looking big enough. 4. I love that you mention this, thank you!! 5. That is a great point re length of laundry. I guess we were going to put furniture there, an indoor plant etc. but I might even nix that for the computer desk there. Though I beginning to like the idea of a bigger pantry now I look at it. I am having analysis paralysis now.

The writing in the pantry says upright chest freezer/minifridge.

The plan you provide for the master bedroom is super interesting! It's affordable and remains within the walls which I love.

To put the entrance door where you have it is really important though for this design. I don't know how easy it would be to relocate the roof cavity entrance/pull down stairs, but I will ask a builder.

Can't thank you enough oklouise, I am sending your virtual hugs and a bottle of your fave tipple!!!

• oklouise
    6 years ago

thankyou for the virtual hugs but unfortunately i don't drink..in the meantime please 1. post a plan of upstairs so i can see how the stairs fit the upstairs rooms..2. gas heater flues have very strict installation requirements and i think an underfloor flue would have the least impact but the heater needs to be planned before you start building to avoid expensive disappointments 3. some heaters have a rear vent rather than very expensive double sided and could have the "fire" in the lounge with a rear vent to heat the mudroom and take up much less space 2. the pantry does have space for the freezer 3. does this modification allow for the position of the pull down stairs??

the open hallway door is a little in the way but when the door is shut the dressing area will still work as described...if there is still a problem for the pulll down stairs please post a sketch of where the stairs fit when down as there should be no need to move the drop down stairs to make this ensuite work

• Tyrian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello oklouise I am sorry not to be able to respond more promptly I have been uber busy. Wow I love the plan for the bathroom - thank you!!! But I am really going to have to wait on my master suite and change a few things as I have spoken to a Renovator Friend who has made me aware my budget is a problem.. to the point I am giving the existing house AS IS to my in-law and just focusing on the extension for my family. :-/ for now? Always wanted a Master Suite!!!! The bedroom will have to be my office for now and I will out a door in what would be my future bathroom. (Insert crying emoji)

Reno Friend has suggested get rid of wall separating mud room/ stairs area. She suggests flip entrance to stairs to closer to door (thereby giving opportunity for full windows over west entrance door allowing western sun. Full height wall where stairs end and slider door there to the middle living/dining wall she suggests we keep. Effectively divides the space into 1/3-2/3. I will need a kitchen in my laundry now as I can't access toilet in extension.

Upstairs study will now be my bedroom - so area over void will become my wardrobe.

Reno Friend vetoed the fireplace under stairs and said it has to be on western external wall. All these ideas she has a budget reason for implementing .. so. My Feng Shui lady will be despairing. I am quite deflated but the budget is what it is, it's going to be a few years to finish I guess. Thank you and instead I am sending a virtual feast of your inclination!!! Xx

• oklouise
    6 years ago

will study and respond asap but the upstairs measurements don't appear to match downstairs..please post a close up of the extension with the measurements clearly readable??

• oklouise
    6 years ago

subject to correct measurements your friend's advice about the stairs would make much better use of all the available space (with or without the wall separating the lounge) and increases the size of all upstairs rooms (including bath and wardrobes) and any of the bedrooms would make a good master bedroom until you can renovate your master suite