Houzz Logo Print
cxroline

Selections / Interior Designing Help Needed!!

Caroline
6 years ago

Hi Guys,

So I have a couple selection dilemmas with the house I am currently in the process of building. We are about to finalise our selections, however, we are umm-ing & ahh-ing about a few colour selections...

Here is our floor plan:

And here is our current kitchen selections:
(benchtop will be Silestone Arden Blue 40mm)
(ALSO the opposite side of the island you can't see will be in Cinder)

And here is a photo of our floating laminate flooring with Antico Oak:
(we have tried to match these as close as possible)

WHAT I'M ASKING YOU IS... do you think it's okay to have these two woods directly next to each other?
Someone suggested that when the two are actually installed... they may look completely different and might look odd directly next to each other.
I've also had someone suggest breaking the two up with an aluminium kicker, which I'm not totally in love with, but will do with some persuasion.

We have decided to do the timber features in the kitchen to break up the black (we don't necessarily like white kitchens) as the kitchen splashback is also a matt black (see photo below next to Antico Oak), and of course we love the idea of touches of warm timber throughout.

Antico Oak really doesn't look great in the picture above, BUT I'm hoping it's just a bad photo and that it won't actually look like this next to each other.
I would prefer something slightly warmer, but didn't want it to clash with our flooring since Antico Oak seems to match so well.

DILEMMA NUMBER #2:

I'm trying to keep the same colour scheme throughout the house... so here is my tile selection:
- Vanity units (including tops): Antico Oak
- Powder room splashback: Devonshire White Matt 75x300 in brick pattern with Midnight grout
- Floor & skirting tiles: Belga Charcoal Grey 450x450 (skirt tiles cut in half)

Bathroom & Ensuite will have the following tiles:
- Floors & walls (to ceiling): Belga Charcoal Grey 450x450
- Bath apron & hob feature tile: Antique Oak Smoked 200x800
- Ensuite shower wall feature tile: Antique Oak Smoked 200x800
(both photos have the "same" tile, this is just to show the colour variation with this tile)

Due to the colour variation seen in the 2nd photo, I have chosen a 2nd option for the feature tile which seems to go well with the vanity units... BUT to me it looks too grey (which is what I'm trying to break up)

Option #2: Crown Grey Oak 200x900

Apologies that this post is so long!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any and all comments/advice/ideas :)

Comments (15)