Houzz Logo Print
emily_bird93

Restoring a Interwar Queenslander that has 70s aluminum windows

Emily Bird
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have just bought my first home a interwar double gabled Queenslander. Our issues is some time in that last 50 years they decided to replace all the old windows with thin aluminum ones and in some places open and two or three windows as well as the original window. As we are renovating we need to replace all the windows and window boxes. Our question is what is the best way to do it without blowing the budget??

We are trying to make a profit on this place and being in our early 20's we don't exactly have huge amounts of cash to play with. We are both engineers so could easily do up plans and design windows but are very worried that custom wooden double hung windows ( and stills as that is exposed wall at the moment ) may blow the budget.

Our idea thus far are for our 4 large double hung window and about 8 meters of opened up windows ( see photos)

• Replace them all with costume timber double hung windows with the stills all fixed up as well could be very $$$
  • See if i can find second hand windows removed from old QLDer's that would fit
  • Replace with new white aluminium downs and get timber stills created
  • Somehow work with what we have got with new stills

Any advice/ recommendations or feed back would be super appreciated !!

Many thanks

Emily

The window about 3m one side and 2m the other possible may add a deck so one wall could be bi fold doors

wall to wall windows about 3m worth

Normal double hung window

On another note does anyone have any idea what to do with the exterior vinyl cladding that was put over the weatherboard many decades ago do we replace or work with it ?

Comments (13)