Houzz Logo Print
penelope_herbert

Kitchen Re-Design Options with Butler's Pantry

My clients have a 60's home with a convoluted floor plan of kitchen, hallway, laundry, toilet, and wasted storage space. Adjacent is a playroom for 4 children which will double as a guest room with a Murphy Bed.

My two very preliminary design solutions include the wasted space be turned into a third bathroom. There are four children, three of whom are girls, plus it creates an en-suite for guests. The kitchen will be more open plan with a Butler's Pantry that includes a simple cupboard laundry. There are two sinks. We are thinking about placing the stove (with rangehood) in the Butler's Pantry area to retain cooking in there, not the open area to the dining room. And shifting the fridge to the open kitchen. This will allow children to get drinks and food but not have to enter the cooking area.

My clients are unsure if they want a door into the new bathroom although it would be useful for carrying washing to the line (in Australia most house owners dry clothes outside when the weather permits). A door would allow children to run around in circles thru kitchen, bathroom, and playroom. Good for them, not for Mum. So they are thinking the closed option might be best.

Any thoughts on these layouts welcome. As an interior designer I am always open to the experiences of others :-) Thanks. Cheers, Penelope

Comments (17)