Houzz Logo Print
caroline_perry

Entry (hall cupboard/mini mudroom - air intake grille

C P
6 years ago
Hi all
I'm in the process of designing our entry. We have an L-shaped space and I'd like to have some bench seating and space for coats (we have big linen cupboard going in another area). I'll have to take a photo of it tomorrow as it's currently full of crap whilst husband installs floorboards in daughter's room.
Essentially it's an alcove just inside front door. There is space where old hall cupboard was and a new wall on right hand side. The old hall cupboard housed the air intake grille for gas heating (so grille cut into door and into door inside cupboard).
My wardrobe person struggled to think how to accommodate this and I sent below pic as inspiration. They key difference being I have L shaped space so would need to factor in a corner.
Do you think this set-up provides enough clearance for the air intake as she's not convinced and was anticipating building full length cupboard with vents in door. I think this is a better option.
What do you think?

Comments (6)

• C P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm sure this amazingng drawing will make it truly obvious what I'm talking about!
  • C P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are some equally dodgy photos
  • C P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    You can see where the grille is covered up temporarily.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

The gas heater intake (make up air) use a lot of air so the less restrictions the better. The suction is surprising! What you have suggested without using a door is way better. If you use a door with a grille it'll need to be pretty sizeable and will look a bit like a door in an office block..... It'll also perhaps suck dust and crap out of the cupboard space above if theres any gaps....

• C P
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks AnnB never thought about the manual! God I wonder in which box that will end up?