Houzz Logo Print
casey_balmer

Advice needed on dining set up (in kitchen)

Casey Balmer
5 years ago

Hi,

We are in the middle of renovating our kitchen and need some advice on the dining area (see picture below)... The space is 2.4mx2.3m - 2.4m between the wall with the aircon and the pantry high cabinet (the door to the rest of the house is past the high cabinet so this area is also a walkway) and 2.3m between the far wall and the end of the kitchen bench.

Initially I was thinking of putting in bench seating along each wall but I think I'm now leaning towards just having a dining table and chairs given the small space so we can have the table pushed back against the wall when it's just the three of us leaving the walkway clear and we can just pull the table out when we need to seat more people (perhaps even get an extendable table to max out the number of people we can fit in the space if we need to - if we hosted Christmas for example we could potentially have to squeeze in 10 people though it would only be once every few years).

The second dilemma is what to do about lighting - if we're moving the table around we can't simply hang a pendant at the centre point of the dining table - so what kind of lighting would work best?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)