Houzz Logo Print
webuser_315955583

Attempting to revive almost dead magnolia

Here are some before/after pics of my almost dead little gem magnolias. I have been away and they have not been watered for some time due to to malfunction with hose drip. I also noticed they had developed a disease of some sort, blight perhaps? I was advised by local nursery to hack off dead bits and allow the surface roots to be visible, then to put Seamanure around the plant. Am I doing the right thing? If not, please help!

Comments (3)

• User
    5 years ago

Hi Devoted Friend,

Those magnolias do look like they're struggling! From my experience their condition would be due to more than just lack of water. I think you've done the right thing pruning off the diseased leaves and branches, and from the final photo it looks like you might be seeing some new shoots already. I'd now work on improving the general health of your plants just by being diligent with watering plus adding a slow-release fertilizer, and a light mulch to improve the soil and conserve water. You want to see moderate, strong new growth rather than masses of weak shoots, so go for a general, balanced fertilizer maybe starting at half the recommended rate. Hope this helps - good luck!

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Devoted friend,
    I agree with La Planta, while they are struggling a slow release fertiliser would be best, you could improve the soil with a weak solution of seasol every couple of weeks, I would lightly mulch as the roots like to be kept cool and moist, as La Planta said be diligent with your watering, I do hope they come good for you, best of luck.
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    5 years ago
    What sort of soil do you have? Did you add different soil to the planting hole?
    Magnolias of the size that you planted require regular, deep watering. It is possible that it was just lack of enough water to keep the root ball moist.