Houzz Logo Print
engepufu

1950s house in urgent need of street appeal

Carolina B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello there,

I am out of my wits' end, and I need some help after researching for over 6 months...

Beginning January 2018, I moved to a red brick house that was fitting our budget and is close to a good school for my kids. Although I did not like the look of the house (has zero street appeal), I thought that it would not be so hard to touch up. Just google something on Pinterest or Houzz and I would get some ideas (it used to work previously). But big mistake! After more than 6 months, I am still without any ideas on how to improve it! :(

First, I think I need some kind of definition as to where the entrance is. At the moment nobody knows how to enter the house. :|

Second, I would like to add some colour in the form of flowers. Maybe also put some grass at the front?

Third, I am thinking to put a white picket fence at the front and on the sides, to enclose the backyard, wrought iron gates. Or just maybe some steel gates on the side and that is.

But here is my problem, how can I improve the entrance of the house and make it visible and inviting? Should I knock down the porch? How can I create street appeal?

I just find that the shape of the house, the asymmetry of the house is just weird - it feels like something is wrong. Well something is definitely wrong if people are unsure how to enter the house.

Could someone give me some advice as to what I could do? Some ideas, PLEASE!!!!!

Comments (31)