taff_taff

How can I make my house look more modern?

taff taff
February 1, 2019

Our house seriously needs to be bought into this Century! I would like to upgrade the facade - cladding or rendering? In a bold colour with white shutters? I want to change the front door and amber glass and redo the garden. Are there any products that can go "over" old driveways? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Changing the front foor and entrance will help, but also remove the sectional panels from the windows. Re the drive way, you could look into the newer pebble crete and painted driveways, a very expensive build near us had just had all the old concrete sprayed a fine light grey colour and looks great. I would also have the roof painted Very dry out your way as well

taff taff thanked siriuskey
  • julie herbert
    I agree with siriuskey, removing the panels from the windows so they are just one big sheet of glass will instantly update the look, maybe box up the posts to give a more chunkier look, as it looks very dry, give the lawn a miss ( most expensive plant in the garden to keep looking lush, watering, feeding, mowing and edging) and plant a coastal garden using different types of surfaces, pavers, stones etc, then plant up with some fabulous dry tolerant plants
    taff taff thanked julie herbert
  • JE C
    I agree with what the others have said, also it depends on budget and how far you want to go...when you say modern, what sort of look does that mean to you?
    taff taff thanked JE C
  • JE C

Some possible garden inspo if you forgo lawn.

South Clark Avenue · More Info
    taff taff thanked JE C
  • dreamer
    Depends on the type of look your going for. Contemporary, country, mid century. Maybe make the front entrance more substantial.
    taff taff thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    There are great products on the market to paint driveway. This is a job that could be done by yourself, if handy. Otherwise there are professionals that can do it for you. This website may help http://www.berger.com.au/how-to-and-diy/how-to-paint-your-driveway-or-garage-floor/.
    taff taff thanked dreamer
  • JE C
    Dreamer is right, we need to know what style Taff Taff is hoping for. For example, some of the existing features could translate well to a Hamptons look.
    taff taff thanked JE C

If you're looking to go with a painted driveway etc, check the credentials of the so called Pro's that you speak to as there have been some shockers, the one I mentioned was done in NSW and is immaculate, time was taken to ensure the end result, Otherwise you will end up with some crook basically spray painting and end of story, with a horrible outcome

taff taff thanked siriuskey

Love those landscaping photos Julie, makes so much semse to get rid of the lawn for the climate shows it's very dry and basically a waste of time and money

taff taff thanked siriuskey
    MB Design & Drafting

I would remove the shutters and porch posts.

Replace posts with some brick piers say 230 x 470.

Paint the brickwork, new piers a different colour.

If budget allows add a gable end to porch. Note that the electrical connection may require relocation. Still some money left, look at windows, maybe remove the mullions as some of these are stuck in place or potentially new windows without so many mullions.

Driveway can be painted, etc.

Landscape, landscape. Try and disguise the strut and cables securing the telegraph pole.

Landscaping is the most important part, employ the services of a designer.

taff taff thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • Elizabeth Bradshaw
    for a cheap fix paint bricks dark grey, repaint shutter effects white again, large shiny aluminium pots with bright flowering large shrubs either side of new white or chartreuse green front door.
    if you don't want lawn try star jasmine which is drought tolerant, goes rampant - clip if you want to,
    or succulents which grow fast from cuttings (pinch little bits on morningcwalks) and need just a little water to start off.
    driveway - can you afford to hone and seal? doing that for our new concrete drive. not cheap I know but looks great
    taff taff thanked Elizabeth Bradshaw
  • Elizabeth Bradshaw
    PS. love the idea of making entry porch more prominent too.
    taff taff thanked Elizabeth Bradshaw

The biggest change to bring the house more up todate will be to paint the roof,

You then could keep the shutters and paint them the same colour.

I would choose a shade of grey for this to work with the classic cream bricks and white windows

Paint the front door black

Add timber posts

Remove the sectional window strips.

Resurface the concrete

Landscape as per Julie H suggestions using lots of gravels and stones adding plants to suit your area. My rough idea for the house update

taff taff thanked siriuskey
  • taff taff

Thank you all for your comments, photos and links.

Thank you all for your comments, photos and links. This style of house is what I like but I only have a small budget -$5000.00. I have researched roof painting and read several forums where people have painted their own roofs with good results as long as they were meticulous with the preparation. I will remove the shutters and definitely engage the services of a garden designer. I live in Perth and we haven't seen rain for awhile. Seems sensible to get rid of the lawn. And I will further research painting or re surfacing the driveway and change in the future.

But, where do I start? What should I do first to implement change? Thank you for any further comments.