petermdn

Seeking advice on an exterior colour scheme

petermdn
February 12, 2019
last modified: February 14, 2019

Hi Houzzers, using this house as a blank canvas, what changes would you suggest making to the colour scheme to make it as appealing as possible (including any changes to the garage door, roof, windows etc) assuming the same overall facade design. Really appreciate your input.

This looks like one of a pair of duplexes?, are you wanting to look completely different

just saw that it's one of 3 units, are you planning painting them all the same

• dreamer
    my suggestion to your question, would be to use stone, or sycon weatherboard cladding on front walls or on front porch pillars. Either would bring interest.
    I think simple as shown is appealing. Bland will appeal to a broad market. Adding the wooden doors you mentioned previously would add interest but a bit of effort in the landscaping will give you more appeal than anything else.
  • pottsy99

Pretty easy I reckon -- paint the right hand fence panel in charcoal to match and balance everything , add a big colourful pot ( say 80cm tall and 80cm across ) on the lefthand 'step down' part ( personally , I'd go for citrus orange or a maroon red if you want to be more subtle , but various blues or greens would suit , just not pop as much IMO ) with pretty much any leafy or colourful plants .

Reclaim your space

What is your objective? Is this your own home, or are you wanting to sell it? Who do you want it to appeal to? How do you want it to feel?

I agree with pottsy99's suggestions, if you want some interest / colour, paint the door in a bright inviting colour, maybe yellow, or something that suits the interior scheme. Maybe the house number next to the door.

• petermdn

Sorry for the delayed reply. For some reason I didn't receive any email notifications from Houzz so i didn't know there were any comments until I logged in. Thank you for your comments. No, I am not the owner of this house, it is just an example of a similar facade to what I am planning to build so was interested in what changes you would make to the colours starting from scratch assuming the same overall facade design. The objective is to sell and would like to look modern, fresh and inviting look but not cold.

• Daini
    Very cute
  • amandalouiselane

As you are building new, I would suggest swapping the render colour with the window frame colour, leave the gutter/facia and roof colour dark. Window frames white, dark aggregate paving.. Blend garage with render colour and then paint the front door your favourite colour, anything from pale pink to bright emerald green. The rest of the interest would be in the landscaping, which would look amazing against the darker render or brick colour.

Congo Systems

Hi Peter,

Definitely review/visualize colour combinations before committing to the build - a little time upfront may save years of regret and "what if's" in your mind.

There lots of cool websites that allow you to try out different colours on a similar design.

It's hard to know what colours will work best for you without knowing a lot more about your taste, if you're looking to flip it (eg. neutral colours), what sort of landscaping and overall ambience you're going for (eg. light and breezy, dark and moody, etc.)

Consider using interesting materials, besides brick and render, to make your facade special. There's amazing products like corten, cemintel, James Hardie boards, lasercut screens, etc.

Also copy web pics from lots of houses you like and a theme may eventually reveal itself for you.

If it helps you can check a range of designs and colour schemes in my portfolio for ideas!

http://www.congosystems.com/page_3dviz_resext.htm

PS: I'm adding a lot more in that section later this month, with some designs being very similar to yours.

All the best.

Colin.

• denisreno

If you want to make it look a bit more interesting, I'd paint the 4 vertical concrete bits at the front in a different colour and then - depending on the colour - and every other horizontal bit of the garage to tie in the colour. Otherwise just paint the fences in a more interesting colour (particularly the one on the right looking at the photo) and the horizontals as before.

• decorator68

This is a small property, I would opt for a more monochromatic approach. I would match the facade to roof, I assume its woodland grey & paint front door and fence monument . Any lush greenery in the front will look lovely against this colour scheme. Garage could be either. If youre up North Id put a jacaranda tree in front yard, with a gymea lily, or frangipani.

• Rosie Leithhead
    you could leave the house as is, and make the garden magical, giving mystery and allure to the house through height and lushness and patches of coliur. Eliminate the grass - it's too high maintenance for a small house
    true stone design
    Agree with others here who speak of working on the garden rather than the house paint colour.
    The house looks like it faces south? Or it may be east?
    Does your intended project also face south?
    Additions to the garden may affect the flow of light into the home, but vegetation coupled with a timber or dark tone on the garage door would add to street appeal in my view.
    Big green growing things change other things, even things as big as a house.
  • karen3812

The front door could be painted in a Wattyl colour called 'Irresistible', this will make the front door stand out and welcome visitors. This colour will go well with the rood and gutter colours also. Is the Front of your house has a modern entrance, a small growing Formal edge would look good and include a formal planting look. To pull this together you will need to have some of the plants the same colours as you have on the exterior of the house. Another colour for the front door could be Ametyst Velvet it is a slighter deeper hue than the Red 'Irresistable' and the same for planting. Not a good idea to change to Garage door. Leave it the same colour as the house exterior, so not to have it stand out. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Regards

Karen (interior designer colour specialists)

• Deborah stephenson

Hi,

You've received some great ideas above, and definitely landscaping will play a pivotal role in softening the facade of your house and providing street appeal.

As you are looking to sell it's important to look to the street your building on and the colours of the houses around you too. Will you be having the front facade fully rendered as above? If so keep the tones neutral to appeal to a wider market. This size house is probably going to appeal to a professional couple which means they will want something with not too much maintenance.

A colorbond roof is a great choice for security and ease of maintenance. Choosing a charcoal like Monument for your roof and gutter adds depth. Consider Surfmist for the Fascia as this will lift and lighten the front. For the Front Portico Piers I would choose a contrasting render colour to add depth to the design.

Your window frames should match your roof. If you do an Aluminium framed front door this colour will be the same as your windows and you would want to match your front door to it. If you do a timber front door frame you can paint your front door and frame the same colour. which will be more consistent and appealing to the eye.

I wouldn't suggest doing anything too wild colour wise for your front door as you have a narrow facade and it will polarise buyers.

Keep your garage door as close as you can to your render colour to give your facade the illusion of size.

An exposed aggregate driveway in a colour such as Labassa would pull it all together.

Depending on where you are building, the other consideration is Developer Guidelines. If you are doing a knock down rebuild this won't affect you, however if you building in a new estate your Developer may require you to stick to a colour palette they have created.

I work for a Volume Builder as a Interior Design Consultant. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Deborah