Houzz Logo Print
duncan_stirling50

Balustrade in Sunroom

Bree Stirling
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello All. So our current sunroom (on the second floor) has sliding windows and they are low. We are renovating and we wouldn't want to put the windows higher as we'd lose good views at the same time we need to comply with standards and the current height definitely doesn't comply.

A glass balustrade was suggested above the lower frame (if that makes sense, refer to below photo with internal balustrade to give an idea).

The photos above are samples of what was suggested but with glass balustrade and sliding windows. Any reference of similar style or suggestions perhaps? Besides glass balustrade any other suggestion that will not impede the views? I can't wrap my head around having a balustrade inside the sliding windows. Thank you.

Comments (16)

• me me
    5 years ago
    What about crim safe types of screens, that can't be removed. They look just like fly screens. Or new windows that have a fixed glass panel at the bottom and opening windows above.
    Bree Stirling thanked me me
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    Can you have a fixed panel of balustrade glass fitted into the same window frame in front of the existing windows? Essentially you’d have a half panel of non removable window doubling up with the sliding window. Would slightly impact view but not as much as other options.
  • Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    5 years ago

me me - good suggestion on the fixed panel at bottom of windows. will definitely take note. Thanks.

bigreader - you just described exactly what was suggested however the glass balustrade will be inside rather than out. Guessing it's the best option and approach. But wonder how it would look like if the fixed glass balustrade is outside the window. Interesting and will take note. Thank you. I just can't find similar designs to compare or get ideas from.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

as suggested, glass Juliet style balcony

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Could use louvre windows.... even potentially from floor level to head height....

Check with the manufacturer of louvre glazing sizes and opening as they do vary.

• Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks siiuskey! it does look like an option but it just wouldn't work with the design we have.

• Sophie C.
    5 years ago
    Bree you could reduce the number of openable windows & floor to ceiling glass in many places. You could have a couple of 1/2 height windows that don't open, with openable window above. You would probably end up with a slim metal frame for these windows that don't spoil the view to much
    Bree Stirling thanked Sophie C.
  • Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you Sophie c and spmm, great suggestions! SPMM The current sliding doors we have put a restrict opening and considered that approach too. So, thank you. If that would be acceptable to council then that would be our best bet. The whole window will be taken down to allow for the new windows which will be heavy and will need better support. So yes, the shelf will be removed.

I have also explored this type of window opening perhaps. Again restrictive opening. The husband is not that keen on the idea.

This is the sketched house. So would like a seamless and minimal look as it will be all windows on the front second level of the house.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

If you are keeping existing windows then the restricted opening on the sliding windows would fix the problem at a very small cost, we had to do this with a couple of windows overlooking our pool

. If you are looking to replace the windows as already suggested some louver windows at the sides of the sun room with fixed panels else where.

Bree Stirling thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    Helenscolour
    4 years ago

I agree with siriusky that the restricted opening lock is an option for compliance. Alternatively awning windows are great. We have just had all apartment windows changed to awning with optional restricted kiddie locks. What about having some fixed and others awning perhaps?

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    4 years ago

I see you have an awning window photo above!

Bree Stirling thanked Helenscolour
  • Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks siriuskey! Glad that would be acceptable to council. We prefer not to have louvres on the front windows, but we do have on the sides. We are replacing all windows as part of our renovation.

• Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Helenscolour, thank you, yes, I have considered that and will note. So that's what they are called, awning window! :)

• Bree Stirling
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Helenscolour, would you have any idea how big they would allow an awning window? Tempted to do a full section of awning type so it looks like a picture window too when closed off. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Helenscolour
    4 years ago
    Width 1580x1300deep is our largest. Atech is the company we are using. Would you like their details?