jbakerfc

Help with kitchen and laundry layouts

jbakerfc
June 19, 2019

This is further to my post requesting help with bathroom layouts.

Our house is 30 years old and in original condition. I would really appreciate some advice on the best layout for our kitchen. At the moment it has very little storage and we have 2 kitchen dressers to help with this. It is quite a good size but we believe the layout could be so much better. We have thought of having an island bench but it would have to run in the other direction to the current bench and we are unsure if this would look right. But we think this would be the best way to allow more cabinets for storage.

We are thinking of having a walk in pantry in area adjoining the laundry. However not sure of best way to do this. Where should the door go?

We had thought at one stage of opening up the family room to the rumpus room but this would mean losing a large built in cabinet on this wall which is vital for storage. Any ideas on other options? If we did open this up we would like doors on it so it could be closed off.

I have attached a plan of the house and kitchen area with dimensions.

Any comments or ideas at all would be much appreciated.

please confirm the length of the whole wall behind the fridge and the size and location of the door into the entry, width and depth of the existing pantry, linen and broom cabinets and the size and placement (distance from corners of the room to outside edge of window or architraves) of the kitchen window and windows/doors in the family room

• jbakerfc

Hi oklouise. Thank you for your reply. I have updated and attached the plan with the measurements you requested. The depth of the shelves in each of the cupboards is 450mm.
    I have also attached photos of the current pantry and the built in wall unit that divides the family room and rumpus.

• jbakerfc

Any suggestions on layout would be greatly appreciated :)

Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs

Hello jbakerfc, I can see how this can work. It needs to run in straight lines! As you step into the kitchen from entry immediately to your left is a linen/store/broom cupboard then wall to laundry door. Along the other wall an under bench WM, trough and one meter of benching makes laundry. (where it is now I'm guessing).Then use the full depth of that lost space for step in pantry with a cavity slider. 1400 wide by 1600 deep: enough to store feed the hungry hoards!

This is that side taken care of! to the right as you enter from entry, is 'frige in situ. One long 3.5 m bench along the outside wall: stove right hand end of bench, closest to entry. At the other end place DW and SSS with chunk of bench between. There would be one meter from front of stove to side of 1.2 wide fridge then door to entry. In free space place an island bench: aprox 1.9 x 1.2

Working at this in kitchen you would have your back to the window and be looking into laundry. it would be wide enough for back to back cabinets or stools to traffic side or ends.

I think the family room cabinet would swing round to back the bedroom. be great to put in cavity sliders instead to open it all up when you want to.

I hope this makes sense to you. I do hope the living rooms are to the north for maximum solar gain to keep your heating bills to a minimum.

Cheers Margot

jbakerfc thanked Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs

my suggestions include the pantry and island and, depending on how you use all the rooms, maybe consider opening the rumpus room to the kitchen/dining and have a study quiet room off the living area

jbakerfc thanked oklouise
  • jbakerfc

Thanks Margot & oklouise for your ideas. Yes, all the living areas are facing north. The rumpus room has 2700mm floor to ceiling windows along the north side which lets in great sunshine in winter. The west wall has a 900mm floor to ceiling window in the corner next to bedroom 4. So do you think that would effect putting storage along that wall? Or do you run it to about a metre from the window? I do like the idea of having a linen cupboard on that wall opening to the hallway.

I like the plan for the kitchen. Was unsure about how to configure the pantry but i think you have come up with the best option, thanks. Unsure about the location of the sink. I thought for symmetry it should be under the kitchen window but I notice you both say to put it to the left of window? What size are you suggesting for the island bench oklouise? And how much space should there be between the benchtops and the island?

The main bedroom and loungeroom face the street so I think we we need to keep the loungeroom in that location. But if we change to only one dining area in the kitchen then perhaps we can change the old dining area to a study?

This was my rough idea without confirmed dimensions that I posted in response to your bathroom post

jbakerfc thanked siriuskey

my suggested island bench would be from 750 to 900 mm deep and up to 2100 long mostly drawers with overhang on one side for stools and/or shallow storage... the space between the island and sink and stove is 1100mm and the walkway between the island and the new pantry 1250mm... location of the sink depends on how you like to work...sink and dw at the left (still has a view out the window and access for others to help with the dishes and space along the window between sink and stove for preparation and island is free for serving, unpacking groceries or quick meals and the stove out of the way at the end .. the storage wall in the family room could be made out of freestanding modules to create a small desk near the window and combination of ta;; short and wall storage to suit what you need to store and similar freestanding units (tall shallow bookshelves with glass doors?) could be useful for dinnerware, glasses, table linen and serving ware in the dining room

jbakerfc thanked oklouise
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs

Yes yes putting sink to the left, then DW leaves a lot of benching in one stretch for prep between it and stove..... do not compromise that! And try to avoid the dead corners! Margot