Houzz Logo Print
webuser_585922467

Lockdown landscaping: which evergreens for privacy & biodiversity?

Jing Bo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Inspired by the mini forest projects, I will add more trees to my property, starting with the front yard (photo 1). The priorities are to increase privacy & biodiversity along the fence lines in a way that is sympathetic to the style of the house and established trees.

The location is Altona (Melbourne), with sandy soil conditions.

The right side of the yard faces north east, the neighbour’s front window & driveway (photo 2).

It gets full sun from mid-morning. The space is 7m from the fence to the street side of the lavender bush (photos 2 & 3).

What small evergreen trees (or tall shrubs) should I plant along here that will work 1) in harmony with the existing big birch feature tree; 2) has a narrow growth habit; 3) grow to at least 2m tall but not too tall as to block the northerly sun. There is a triangular space (yellow arrow) in the yard that currently has a small rosemary bush, which may be relocated or removed. What small tree can I plant here that might work?

The left (driveway) side of the yard faces the neighbour’s carport and a big tree in their yard (photo 4).

Would it work to have another medium sized tree where the green X (neighbour’s chimney) is marked? If so, what would be a good option? On the right side of the photo (5) is a pink camellia shrub.

From the end of this camellia to between the 2nd and 3rd iris (from the left) measures 4.5m. What should I plant along here that might work with/without the bigger tree at the green X?

For both sides of the yard, I would prefer evergreen trees (or shrubs) over a formal compact hedge. If it works, different species would be great. If it can work harmoniously with what’s already there, then native would be awesome. Further in the driveway (photo 6), there is a 6m gap between a loquat tree and a pink camellia.

What can I plant along here (photo 7)?

Don’t worry, the neighbour is all for it and happy to cut back the branches from that tree.

The motivation behind this project was to contribute to the local environment by increasing trees for local wildlife. I have even convinced the council to plant more trees in my street and along my curb for next year (win!).

But there’s no reason to make it ugly!

When I tried to get some design help, nobody wanted to take the work because the project is on the west side and too small.

So I would **really** appreciate your design input.

Look how far the yard has come already (see before photo). We only moved in in June!

Think of this as a little positivity in these bleak times of 2020!

Thanking your creative contribution in advance 😊

Comment (1)