Houzz Logo Print
webuser_303722622

Popcorn (cottage cheese) ceiling dilemma

Naomi Everton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone used Ceiling Resurfaces Australia to fix the hideous Vermiculite popcorn ceiling? I just bought one of those 1970's apartments with this kind of ceiling. One painter told me not to touch it and said it was a hideous job to fix whatever you try to do can't be fixed.

I don't want to use particle board to cover it up - no lowering the ceiling height.

Comments (5)

• macyjean
    3 years ago

It can be fixed but first you need to ensure you know if you're dealing with asbestos. Various issues and solutions, including the company you mention, discussed here. https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/3007470/to-vermiculite-or-not-apartment-roof

Naomi Everton thanked macyjean
  • User
    3 years ago

Is that those tiles ?

I did up a commercial bar 15 years ago that had them , with all the little holes and things . On a budget of next to nothing , I cut plywood to size and varnished it , and replaced every 5th or 6th tile with these . Still pretty boring , and we had the luxury of height , but I then did more plywood pieces , 200mm wider and longer . Half these I did in a mid brown stain , the other half in a reddish cedar stain , added 4 downlights per panel , in holes drilled into these panels , and suspended these mostly 100-150mm lower , with polished stainless steel threaded rod .

• Naomi Everton
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Definitely no asbestos

• dreamer
    3 years ago

How do you know there is no asbestos? Have you had the ceiling tested by professionals?

• Naomi Everton
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve been assured in writing & confirmation with the body corporate that there is no asbestos.