Houzz Logo Print
snezinc

HI, Renovation ideas please. Island bench?

Sue Smith
3 years ago

Comments (27)

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI

About 5 years ago we did a very basic kitchen renovation. Have since realised, that maybe we would have been better off doing an island bench, that way there are 2 entry points in the kitchen, and the bin will fit under the counter top. Do you think this is a good idea? Its only a small townhouse, not much room for error. If we go ahead, then it would mean the kitchen sink would go on the island bench, is there any other way?

We are looking at making the island bench 900x1300, and leaving about 1400 between the island bench and the cooktop, with an opening towards the dining room table.

The other possibility would be for an open one wall kitchen to open up the living room and dining room, but not sure how that would look. Any ideas would be so greatly appreciated.

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

please include dimensions of the whole room including kitchen, dining and living area and showing the steps and all doors...a rough hand drawn sketch with length of each wall will help but is the post structural or could it be removed?

• Related Discussions

Need help with my ISLAND BENCH design please................

Q

Comments (4)
    Left one won't date as quickly as the marble, less cleaning too although less storage maybe...
    ...See More

Kitchen island bench advice please

Q

Comments (5)
    There is Quantum Quartz 'Cloudy Bay' which is a lovely stone similar to Caesarstone 'Oyster' and doesn't show too much up as it has markings in it already. Also you could consider Caesarstone 'Clamshell' which has a small amount of white & darker greys through it. Hope that helps.
    ...See More

Need design advice please – island bench!

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Mark, You might also check out kitchen design considerations in the Liveable Housing Design Guidelines They suggest for Gold Level that: (A) The kitchen space should be designed to support ease of movement and adaptation with: at least 1200 mm clearance in front of fixed benches and appliances (excluding handles); and slip resistant flooring. (B) Floor finishes should extend under kitchen cabinetry to enable cupboards to be removed without affecting the flooring. Where fixtures cannot be easily removed (e.g. ovens which are built in) the floor finishes should not be continued. And for Platinum (highest) Level that: As for the gold level except that the kitchen space described in (A) should be designed to support ease of movement and adaptation with: at least 1550 mm clearance in front of fixed benches and appliances (excluding handles); slip resistant flooring; and task lighting installed above work spaces. These standards are being considered for incorporation into the National Construction Code (BCA). They will not appear for a few years yet, but by considering and incorporating these principles now it may future-proof the house to some extent.
    ...See More

Please advice what to use for island bench, caesurestone or smartstone

Q

Comments (4)
    They are the same as they are both engineered. From the builders perspective the smart stone comes in bigger slabs so it will save on costs to buy fewer slabs. He is trying to save you or himself money. Ceaserstone has a wider variety of colours, there customer care is top notch and they have more product. Like with any Bench top be it laminate, stone or marble, as soon as you drop something on it, clean it up.
    ...See More
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes the post is structural, we could remove it, but it would be a big job, and we would have to place a beam across the ceiling for support. We have thought about removing it many times, but as we have high ceilings it might ruin the nice look of the ceiling with a beam running across it. Not sure if there is any other way around it.

Here are some photos of the plans, Let me know if you need anything else. Its the same area, but one is filled more.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

what is the length and width of the kitchen and dining area plus what is the depth of the alcove for the fridge and wall oven?

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

entire living area which is all open plan, its quiet small

(w) 6600

(L) 6200

Kitchen alone

(W) 2600

(L) 3100

Entry into the kitchen from fridge to beach where bin is

depth where the fridge and wall oven

kitchen dining area combined

(W)2700

(L)6000

hope this helps

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

wow thanks so much for your time and love your recomendations.

Where would the pantry go?

Does the fridge and oven stay in the same spot?

I would love to extend the kitchen cabinet along the wall but then there will be no room for the dinding room table, as l would have to move it outwards and it would get in the way walkway path. What about turning the table longer way, or even getting rid of the table and having one of those extension tables that join onto the island bench. As the place is so small l would love to make it look larger, and from what l read, bigger less pieces makes the place look bigger.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

fridge and oven in similar location without corner pantry... removing the tall pantry only just compensates counter space for the new gap opening to the dining area and pantry storage now in wall cabinets and drawers/cabinets in the island, rotate the dining table and allow enough space for a cabinet along the dining room wall to see how it feels...the rooms are much bigger than many other homes so maybe you need to try rearranging furniture in different ways to see how that feels before committing to changes but the current island bench is fixed due to the post so the biggest change having to move the sink to the wall cabinet or the island to allow for the gap to the dining area

Sue Smith thanked oklouise
  • Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

okay, so if l understand it correctly what your saying is the pantry would be along the wall in the dining room area? What kind of pantry do you recommend, and what kind of wall cupboards above the sink and stove top?

If we were to remove the post where would you put the island bench?

I really like the sink over to the wall cabinet as l didn't want to have any splash on my couch, and also not the first thing people see when they walk up the stairs.

Not sure if l could arrange the couch and tv in a different spot, but maybe l could move the table, or even buying table that can be extended out if needed.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

the pantry supplies stored in drawers and wall cabinets where they're needed ie daily or occasionally.. not necessarily all in one place and wall cabinets similar to what you have now.. with or without glass doors depending on your preferences and no advantage to removing the post as i still think that the island location is best where i've suggested but best way to feel more spacious is to find to find concealed storage for everything or less things to be stored and that's a personal choice but i notice that the computers are on the dining table...is there an alternate location for them?

Sue Smith thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

Great Plan OKL, you could reduce the width of 1200 back to 1000 in such a small house, and continuing the cabinets along the dining wall but reduce the depth of those cabinets to 400, you could even use 300 deep wall cabinets hung off the wall so that they float, ie; not touching the floor, but keeping the bench top the same height across both the dining and kitchen. This reminds me of my daughters old place, she also used mirror splash backs in the kitchen and ran the cabinets as suggested across the dining room

And your Elephants need to look out the window for good luck

Sue Smith thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    3 years ago

If you didn't have a wall oven you could have a straight corner pantry or other but Not a Diagonal one please

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great suggestions.

We tend to just have our laptops either downstairs in the study or on our laps.

What about having the pantry where the oven and microwave is and moving them elsewhere?

The elephants are just for looks.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Think outside the normal pantry cupboard set up for your situation.

Pantry item storage is, in my opinion, more beneficial in drawers.

You can see everything at a glance, and nothing is lost up the back of the cupboard.

By having under bench pantry drawers it will

free up space for more benches. And could also be located in the island bench.

Narrow 300 wall cabinets, can store items like cereal boxes or appliances.

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi great advice, so in hat case l probably do not need to move the oven and microwave? Even though its right next to the fridge??

Another idea l wanted to pass by, is what do you think of running the over head cupboards all the way down where the picture is? Would the tbat much? Having like an island bench/table.

Thanks so much for all your advice its been incredibly valuable.

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

If you have an under bench oven the wall oven cabinet could become a pantry with drawers which will hold all food stuffs, the MW can go on a wall shelf or within the island, and yes you can run the wall cabinets across the dining instead of the artwork.

And even elephants used for decor, should be rotated towards a window..

• dreamer
    3 years ago

A wall oven and bench height accessible microwave would be my choice all the time.

leave your fridge and ovens as they are. A lot better ergonomically and safer.

as per oklouise design. With pantry storage in the island. As per oklouise mentioned in her design.

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay great, thanks so much for you great advice.

What do you think of the above photos l have posted of the table connected to the island bench?

Bad or good idea?

Should l get vertical or horizontal over head cupboards?

And l run them all along the wall l do worry it make make my home looks smaller.

Thanks heaps for everything really appreciate your time.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

If you have a table connected to the bench, then you are stuck with that set up. If your space was huge, Yes. But, your space is compact and to have an open space that can be configured in a variety of ways, in my opinion, is better.

Separate dining table and chairs, and lounges can be pushed to the side for a party, or you can push the lounges to the side, and create a long banquet table for a special 12 seater dinner. If you have the table stuck to the island, that is it.......no room for movement.

Sue Smith thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

horizontal cupboards, only 300 deep, with bench. keep the upper walls free, the bench space can be used for a servery for those dinners I mentioned before.

Look at your photos of the kitchen overhead cupboards. They look busy, and make the space look smaller. If you take those cupboards down and rebuild cupboards along the dining room wall, visually, you will open up the space.

Sue Smith thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

My suggestion for the whole kitchen, is to keep a bank of pantry cabinets next to the fridge, staring from the left a flat corner pantry that has "L" shaped shelving plus a pull out food pantry between it and the fridge.

An under bench oven, the MW would be in the open shelf wall cabinet with kettle and toaster etc in the corner under the MW

The sink, DW and rubbish bin in the Island which would have a taller panel as shown to cover any mess in that clean up space

I've added a bench height table next to the island, this could be dropped to table height if wanted.

I have continued the wall cabinets on the wall across both the kitchen and dining, I haven't sectioned the cabinets but they could be a combination of doors and open shelves.

I have also extended floating lower cabinets at a depth of 400 across the dining space with the same bench top as used on the kitchen cabinets

This will give you great storage to allow you tuck your appliances and food stuffs into when not in use,. You can also use a deep drawer to pop certain appliances into if that fits and suits how you use your kitchen

You can also store a broom in the "L" shaped pantry with dust pan and brush fitted to the inside of the door, the "L" shaped shelving allows for this

Click on the images to open them

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Siriuskey, Wow so many great suggestions. THANKS SO MUCH.

Not sure where the microwave and oven would go?

Is this table connected to the island bench?

How wide is the island bench?

Also l worry that placing my sink in the island bench I need to put this wall up to stop splash on the couch, but it kind of makes the place look smaller do you think? I like the look of an island bench being open to create a sense of openness and space. But without this wall the sink with all the dishes will be the first thing people see when they enter the room. What about putting it on the other side along the wall near the cook top, just not sure if it would be enough room.

Dreamer are you saying to get rid of all the over head cupboards in kitchen?

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

as suggested the microwave is in the timber coloured open shelves you have to imagine it, the oven is under the cooktop

The suggested panel on the island is just that but up to you

You could have the sink on the back

yes the table and island are one just different materials to try and fit with the picture you posted

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay, great so much to think about.

Such good ideas.

Even husband sais we don't need to renovate the kitchen.

Ahhhh, husbands....lol

Instead of the table being connected to the island bench it would be good if l can have it connected but also be able to disconnect and lower it if needed. Not sure if this is possible to do. That way l have the best of both worlds.

What do you think?

• cag63
    3 years ago

Like the idea of a movable table with castors - that way you can move it around. And you might even be able to get one/have one made that extends (one drop down end). I would try and have it he same width as the island then it won’t overwhelm the area.
    Pull out drawers for pantry items are the go and then you don’t need a tall pantry.
    Lower cabinets only running into the dining area otherwise it will just feel too small.
    Possibly some open shelving there could work (but you could add this in later once the rest is done).
    Good luck!

• Sue Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ok thanks, l was just going to do cabinets all wall, as along the wall into the dining area as well, l aways need extra storage, but now you've got me thinking its going to look to small. now not sure what to do.