Houzz Logo Print
gemma_b22

Repair grout or install shower base?

Gemma B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Our shower had mould issues around the base in the silicon etc that had been patched over the years. Upon removal I've realised in some areas they had even grouted over the silicon and the seal was non existent. Also the tiling job itself is poor with neither set of tiles going all the way to the wall or floor, leaving a cavity that's impossible to reach with traditional grout behind it. No wonder the moisture in the walls around the shower was high and staining of the wooden floor boards by the door.I'm in the process of stripping out the remainder of the grout but want some advice on the best fix going forwards.I don't think grout is going to allow me to fill in the cavity behind and create a good seal. Especially if it shrinks as it dries.Silicone will be easier to fill in the cavity, but will I just have to replace it all again in a year or two?I hate the ledge into the shower, and it makes it hard for elderly/injured/disabled to get in and out. Should I just completely remove the ledge, try to find matching tiles and install a shower base over the floor tiles, which will help improve drainage and cover the poor joins in the tiles completely?Any advice on glass shower frames and bases that I could use in a spot like this. A glass door couldn't open out because it might get hit by the main door and break.

Comments (10)