Houzz Logo Print
elena_gildina

Space Heating an Art Deco House: Flued Gas vs Electric vs Aircon

Elena Gildina
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I would love your help with this dilema - all thoughts/ideas are very appreciated! We are stuck :(

I am renovating an art-deco house with lots of original features (floor, ceiling, windows).

Large living rooms have 2 bricked up fireplaces, with no external flues/outlets/chimneys.

There is no heating or cooling anything installed in the house and we would love to be warm in winter. Can cool the house via x-ventilation but cannot heat it up.

We will be installing solar panels + solar battery and will have plenty of free solar energy to use. We also currently have gas connection that we would love to get rid off.

DILEMMA: What sort of cooling or heating to install?

1. Install flued gas heaters - seems pointless given that the rest of the house is electric + has free solar energy. Huge outlay on install but not the right thing long term BUT most effective at heating the space + looks the nicest. We'll be stuck paying gas connection charge for the whole year even though will only use heating for max 3 months of the year.

2. Install electric heaters - cheapest, looks OKish (not nearly as nice as gas), heats space OK. BUT will be free/very cheap to run given solar energy, so a huge plus there. All else is average.

3. Install aircon - cheap/free to run on solar and very effective at heating and cooling BUT looks awful. No unobtrusive spot to install it in, will destroy the character and beauty of the house and its features AND I will still have 2 empty bricked up fireplaces to look at in both living rooms

What to do......?!!!!!! Invest in old but effective gas technology? Wait another cold winter to see if something better comes on a market? Is there another electric heating source that is more complimentary to old homes that I need to investigate?

Huge thanks for all your responses!!

Comments (6)