Houzz Logo Print
louise_dever44

louise-dever@hotmail.com.au

Louise Dever
2 years ago

Hi looking for ideas to dress up the front of my home in Australia. I cannot change the colour of the vinyl clad but any ideas for the rest would be appreciated thanks in advance

Comments (8)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

Needs some colour. A simple lift would be to attach planters to the stair railing. Plant up with wonderful coloured flowers. You can hold the planters in place by putting them near the vertical rail. Include more pots and planters on the top landing.

• User
    2 years ago

Someone has taken a couple of nice , and complementary , colours , and said -- that'll suit the upstairs , that'll go okay on the basement and front fence . Actually , I'm a bit mean there , because there is the hedge , and that actually adds both interest and life and colour to the basement , so it is arguably nicer than the upstairs .

Having the roof and gutters both in that 'nothing' shade isn't helping either .

There appears to be 'boards' around the upstairs windows , so I'd paint them in the grey/charcoal -- that then starts to tie the upstairs and downstairs together better . Now you could carry on and do the gutter the same , and that would sort of work , but its pretty boring and basically still 'black and white' .

I'd go for a Wow , with a bright red or orange ( or tone it down in say burgundy or even 1950's mint green , or a greeny yellow similar to the top of your hedge , etc ) on the front upstairs door , do the gutter the same chosen colour so you have a 100mm wide band of colour near the top , and I'd probably even do the top rail of the stairs the same colour , the other two rails go black or charcoal .

From there , you can add pots or planters etc , but another thing I'd do is stain that unstained fence in a dark charcoal/black .

• Louise Dever
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great ideas thanks keep them coming please the only thing I cannot change is the walls upstairs there is some metal frame around window so yes I can colour those

• User
    2 years ago

Theres no need to change either of the primary colours -- its just the details IMO . Right now , it looks like an offwhite house dropped onto a dark basement , whereas a bit of planning and under $1000 of paint will make it look look co-ordinated , and ( if you want ) stand out in a good way . The present attempt to blend in sort of works , but it looks more like 2 seperate attempts haha .

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Its a lovely neat house. I like the colours and wouldn’t change them. I would add a white arbour over the garage and plant with a coloured climber. My preference would be hot pink but you could do red if that’s your preference. If you have the budget I’d upgrade the stair rail to a wooden one. And add wooden trim to border the exterior windows. The current trim is too mean. You’d also improve the exterior appearance by updating the window coverings. And add a pot to the landing.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I like the overall appeal. What let’s it down is the path and steps and some decent planting against house. You need to coat the paving and steps with something. If you have young kids or even if you don’t then you should upgrade the railing to meet current standards. This will allow for other options if you want to do that

• Louise Dever
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I was looking at colours for the steps thank you good idea about the railing I will look at ways to do that. I like all of your inputs enjoying exploring your ideas

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

It is such a nice house, love the colours, I would continue with them by adding beautiful planters on your porch, a succulent or plant wall garden at entrance wall, new light fitting and along small garden white flowering dietes , pressure wash steps or use paving paint to blend in with house colour , keeping it simple gives a beautiful stylish look.