Houzz Logo Print
contractor_concrete

Unknown Buried Steel Pipe

Hello all,

So decided to do a bit of gardening in the front yard of my older weatherboard house in WA.

I dug less than 200mm before coming across a 20mm diameter steel pipe (pictures below for context);

• The pipe seems to go towards the direction of the green Western Power pillar located the other side of the fence (for safety

I didn’t dig in that area so I’m not quite sure if it actually connects to that).
  • The other end of the pipe seems to go towards my mains (but I didn’t dig in that area so I’m not quite sure if it actually connects to that).
  • There seem to be thin green and white wires inside the steel pipe (hard to take a picture).
  • Paid one electrician and he tested and said there is no Live wire in there - but he still wasn't sure.
  • Called and paid another electrician and they said it's Earth wire (but he wasn't sure why it's going towards the green dome. He said they usually bury electrical wires 500mm deep - this one isn't. Also the wire inside is much thinner than the usual electrical wires - but it's not comms as well because we know the location of those).

I was wondering if anybody out there has had a similar thing, who can shed some light on this mysterious pipe.

Just curios to learn what it is, whether I can plant shrubs or turf on there, should it be concreted in for safety, should I keep load away from it, should I relocate it, etc.

Thanks for reading :-)

Comments (13)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

go to the "dial before you dig" website.

You put in your address, and all the information regarding utilities pipes will be shown on site map.

This website has been available for about 20 years.

https://www.1100.com.au/

• contractor concreter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks - I am aware of DBYD, and have previously downloaded the DBYD pdfs for the site. Also I have previously called the utility companies - showing the location of the utility services within the property boundary is not a guarantee - in my case that info is not available hence getting tradies to check as mentioned.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

You are on the right track then. Hope the mystery is solved soon.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Did they open the green dome and track from there?

• User
    2 years ago

Whilst power seems a logical conclusion , what do you know about previous owners/tenants ?

Why I ask is that I am in NZ , and I bought an expensive house right on a large lake -- it was at the end of a very long driveway . Turned out there was only 1 phone line installed , and in an area classed as rural ( theres something in NZ which makes it harder for rural areas to get more phone / fax / internet lines -- you have to pay LOTS ) . These days , you'd go wireless ( cell network ) but in those days 22 years ago , that wasn't a thing .

So the quote to get a couple more phone lines , a fax line and internet for 400 metres or so down the driveway was literally in the $10's of thousands ! Knowing people , I made a couple of calls , and bought $400 of wire and a couple of long garden hoses , and laid my own cables , using a narrow trenching spade , buried 150-200mm deep , then paid $100 each end to get them connected . Acting on advice , I laid them that close to the surface firstly to save time and even $$ hiring a ditch witch etc ; but also because any problems you just dig up and repair or start again . If the Telecom technician laid the cable , they have to go by the book and lay it 1 metre deep or whatever ; do it yourself and you are responsible -- they ask if you have complied , but as it at your risk , they can't legally ( or maybe don't care ) dig up and check . Probably , if you put on a nice lunch or a dozen cold ones , they would have hooked up a system stapled to the fence posts haha !

So who knows , but thats one explanation .

• bigreader
    2 years ago

I’m not sure on the wisdom of having electrical wires in a metal pipe. Definitely looks like a home diy job. I’m tossing up saying to just leave it or to have one of the electricians terminate it at one end.

I’m terms of planting I’d say you’ll be fine. The pipe doesn’t contain liquids so plants aren’t going to seek it out from thirst and the narrow space means smaller plants.

• dreamer
    2 years ago

John Clarke was a favourite of mine, with his satirical political humour. Sadly passed away in 2017.

• User
    2 years ago

If you haven't looked at his Fred Dagg stuff , do so -- it was definitely before its time , more biting than Monty Python etc . Even his songs -- 'we don't know how lucky we are' , 'the gumboot song' etc were brilliant !

• User
    2 years ago

Here's when they got him to present the weather !

• Robert Bakker
    2 years ago

If it was me and you trust t the electricians advice i would explore where it terminates at each end.

• Robert Bakker
    2 years ago

What did you finally do??

• contractor concreter
    Original Author
    2 years ago

well, it turned out to be a legacy land line (you can see the Telstra pit on the Northern end in the pictures). It was disconnected and replaced with NBN a couple of years ago - but nobody bothered to actually dispose of it due to that concrete I reckon.