Houzz Logo Print
paul3460

House Facade - (Greek, Santorini Appearance?)

Pablo D
2 years ago

Looking to get ideas, inspiration and open for opinions.
On a relatively tight budget what would you change on front of the house. To make the appearance of it to look mediterranean. (Greek, Santorini)
Not keen on changing the roof structure otherwise any of the rest is susceptible to change.

Comments (10)

• dreamer
    2 years ago

It would be a very long stretch to make this home into a Santorini home. But if you really want to, then build up false walls in front of home. Render entire home in crisp white, install a blue front door and white garage doors. Paint or change Window frames to blue or white. Lots of flowering geraniums. But really, why would you want to ruin a perfectly good home.

• Pablo D
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Dreamer, I was keen on giving its a appearance freshen up, I love that santorini crisp white look. Whether I paint the the house white, and the roof a lighter colour? Also thinking of making a wider front door using the space to the right before the window.

• macyjean
    2 years ago

I think it depends on where you are. That "crisp white" doesn't work in some climates, I can't quite explain why but it looks too incongruous. Surrounding landscaping makes a difference too.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I would do it crisp white. Needs to tone into bricks a little.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Sorry. should be wouldn’t do it crisp white.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

Something like this, white roof blue garage and front door, white arches with a beautiful bougainvillea growing over them plus terracotta tiles and pots.

• User
    2 years ago

To use a car analogy , would you buy a Corolla , then take it to the panelbeaters and get them to nake it a 2 door , with the windscreen sloped back , put a V8 in it , paint it red and put Ferrari badges on it ? To do it PROPERLY would cost a fortune , anything else is tacky .

The roof is the main thing that needs tidying and modernising -- get that done , and stain the fence a charcoal and you are halfway there . You could paint the front door a bright colour , same with the garage doors -- having said that , the garage doors are dated , so even in bright red they will look the era -- I'd personally go for cedar garage doors and a matching main entry door . Painting the gutters will help , even something like doing upright cedar battens over 1 or more window will make it look more modern ( but possibly cut down the lighting inside ) .

Stick with what you have , but going back to the car thing -- add some alloys , tint the windows , maybe a set of stripes -- its always going to be a Corolla !

• bigreader
    2 years ago

Have a look at one of the earlier Three Birds Renovations earlier houses. It was one of their own. It was an existing house that they made over as Santorini.

• siriuskey
    2 years ago

The arches I drew above look more Middle Eastern

Render the bricks add a weathered timber front door, Pergola with Bougainvillea. crazy paving etc. MY pink wall is too bright a washed pink would look great I've used soft grey but it could just be white.

Also look at Kyal and Kara's new beach house, Mediterranean meets australian beach