Houzz Logo Print
bellamercades

Sauna Vs Steamroom

bellamercades
5 years ago
Hi all,

We are rebuilding and are considering putting in either a steam shower in our ensuite or a hot rock sauna in the gym space.

It would be used by hubby and I (kids are too young at the moment) and would probably get used a few times a month (mostly for relaxing and detoxing). Cost wise, it seems a steam space built into the shower in our ensuite would be about $7-$10k (+ bathroom/shower costs), while the sauna would be about $10-$15k (+ gym/room costs - however, this space would need to be bigger if we get the sauna, compared to not including it).

Any pros/cons to consider? Steam or Sauna better? Which one easier to maintain?

Cheers!

Comments (4)

• alba Hastings
    4 years ago

I wondered if you had resolved this matter? We have a sauna which my husband loves, while I use it occasionally only. What I am investing in for our knock down rebuild is a spa bath, as that's something I use regularly. Curious to know your outcome?

• bellamercades
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Alba - thanks for your comment. No, haven’t resolved/decided yet. A spa bath would be lovely!
  • alba Hastings
    4 years ago

There are practical options out there that make a luxury item an everyday event which is what we have. Our spa is over 15 years old now and I wouldn't be without it. If anything we will go just a tiny bit bigger so my large hubby gets to enjoy it as much as I do. I think its in the 1800 length & 800 width range and the beauty is you can use it as a bath alone or a spa when needed. Enjoy your researching!

• alba Hastings
    4 years ago

As for sauna or steam room, I wonder if the maintenance is an issue? I would assume the steam room being wet would be prone to more renewals etc. Hope that helps you work it out. I'm all about ease of cleaning and least possible maintenance, but then our income dictates this. Happy searching!