Houzz Logo Print
modernistmaude

Any thoughts on new kitchen cabinetry colours/finish?

modernistmaude
9 years ago
Hi, this is a solid, but dated 1985 double brick house with stained beams & Stramit (honey coloured) 2.4m ceilings. The lighting is very dated and the terracotta type floor tiles, along with the ceiling give the feeling of darkness. We will be moving into this house for a few years and then hopefully sell it so we need to liven it up but still be mindful of not overcapitalising.

Im thinking LED track lights in white in the kitchen and in the living space to replace the old fluros. The 2nd pic Ive attached shows the casual living space that connects to the kitchen/dining space. . The bricks have some white, deep mauve/grey in them, should I stick with a soft white kitchen or maybe go white benchtops with woodgrain/teak cupboards? Any suggestions appreciated. (NB furniture not ours, in the formal lounge room pic attached you can see the colours in the brick a bit easier) Anyone had experience with this type of ceiling, Im hoping that if I lighten curtains/blinds, kitchen cabinetry and add some good lighting the ceiling and floor being neutrals will disappear, am I right? Appreciate any input. Cheers MM
PS We have just tried painting the laundry ceiling and not happy with the Stramit, the beams were fine, but the straw type texture of the Stramit ceiling is tricky to cover well.

Comments (20)