Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

DIY treehouses and children's safety. Discuss.

Luke Buckle
9 years ago
I am weighing up constructing a treehouse, following a time-honoured custom of fathers building dodgy wooden houses up trees for children to play in.

Truth is, many regulations now exist and some councils even ban such projects, meaning that future generations may never know the joy of climbing into their own space and looking down on the world.

But, of course, children's safety must come first.

Do you think governments should get involved in treehouse construction or should that we be left to make them as we please?
Coogee treehouse - pulley system fun · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    TB ID
    9 years ago
    I agree Luke - surely safety must come first, so although the bureaucracy can be a drag, in the end, I'd rather be safe than sorry... Alternatively, what about a cardboard box cubby house? Hours of fun!!
  • PRO
    Quercus Gardens
    9 years ago
    Thanks for using our photo, Tony! A childhood with a great "cubby" treehouse in the family backyard is what dreams are made of!

You have raised a very good point and safety must always be the priority when installing any form of construction work. Quercus Gardens highly recommend that tree-houses be constructed and installed by experienced professionals who will understand the strengths and limitations of design, materials and workmanship.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I remember when my son was young, we stopped at a playground for him to play. Hubby and I went to the car to get out the picnic stuff, and son stepped off the top to go follow us, about 9 ft off the ground, and fell on his face. Never mind using the ladder...
  • ellyrmc
    9 years ago
    I would just like to say that that is an awesome tree house
  • PRO
    Quercus Gardens
    9 years ago
    Thank you, ellyrmc!
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Sadly, kids will be kids, some rarely get a scratch others regularly break bones. Unfortunately parents fall into many categories too and don't always look at the big picture. I certainly do not advocate the "nanny state" situation that is emerging, but where do you draw the line?? Fencing swimming pools has been law for around 40 years now, but still children drown in backyard pools each year and the debate over that continues.

I think the most important issue is providing children with a safe place to play, to enjoy the outdoors away from the TV and other electronic gadgets of today, to inspire their imagination and just let them be kids, have their own special space and enjoy their childhood. Kids of today are fast losing all this. It also needs to be a place that does not require constant parental supervision, all too often parents are distracted with other happenings in the home and kids often like to be free of parents to really express themselves. How high does a treehouse really have to be? It can be just a foot off the ground, but if it is created to be a child's magical place it will become anything to that child.

There are many public parks and playgrounds that have climbing structures for children where parents can take them for special play times and can watch over them at all times, I really don't think they need this in the home - that then makes a trip to the playground something special.

Remember too, adults see things totally different to children.