Houzz Logo Print
telperien

Any tilers /kitchen / insurance experts who can advise?

telperien
8 years ago

The tap to my dishwasher leaked, water pooled under my cupboards, travelled along the wall to come out in the adjacent (carpeted) dining room, travelled under my wall unit, and came out in the carpet next to the doorway to the kitchen. The next day we noticed the tiles next to that doorway were "drummy", after a couple of days the first two rows of tiles were affected. A builder whom we knew came to assess the damage and suggested a claim for a new kitchen (due to water getting into the footings) and for replacement of the tiles. Our insurance company has refused all of the claim, stating that there is no visible evidence of damage to the cupboards, and that in the case of the tiles they were installed without "intermediate control joints or perimeter joints" and that they have accumulated damage over many years and become "drummy" as a result. I protested against that, but they have sent a further email saying that they feel their decision was correct. What are control and perimeter joints ? How can the lack of those justify refusal of the claim ? Do I go further to the Financial Services Ombudsman ? This probably isn't the appropriate forum, but I don't know anyone else I could talk to . Any advice, fellow Houzzers?

Comments (3)