Houzz Logo Print
bazeleypartnership

Before & After: Medieval Grade II* Listed Barn Conversion

The Bazeley Partnership
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This project involves the conversion of an ancient and important heritage Grade II* listed building in Bude, Cornwall. It is one of only a handful of examples of 14th century design for agricultural buildings, but had sadly fallen into disrepair.

The Bazeley Partnership successfully gained planning permission for our client to restore, repair and convert the dilapidated barn into a stunning, contemporary family home.

We were briefed to integrate contemporary design into elements of the medieval barn which were beyond repair, creating a pitched glazed extension bridging the oldest part of the building with the newer barn.

This complex project involved working with traditional building materials, with the majority of the stone, timber and slate found on site re-used in the re-construction of the building.

The finished accommodation includes bespoke features – such as the staircase and kitchen – and offers an extraordinary blend of old and new, in an idyllic location overlooking the Cornish coast.

Before:

Grade II* Listed Medieval Barn Conversion, Cornwall · More Info

After:

Rustic Living Room · More Info

What do you like most about this amazing transformation?

Comments (16)

• User
    8 years ago
    Love the new roof line, in particular the glass roof. I'm sure it lets in much needed light that I'm guessing the planning restrictions on window size prohibits in the rest of the building. Wish there were pictures of inside and views from the other side of the building?
    The Bazeley Partnership thanked User
  • PRO
    The Bazeley Partnership
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Fizzfan, you can see plenty more pictures of the barn in our Project file on our Houzz page. http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/567850/grade-ii-listed-medieval-barn-conversion-bude-cornwall-uk Let us know what you think!

• User
    8 years ago
    It's such an unexpected interior! It took a minute to take it all in and imagine living there. My favourite spots were the ceiling in the lounge, which is awesome, and the gorgeous bathroom.
    I also loved the stone walls, and the glass walkway between the kitchen and dining area through to the lounge gives a feeling of relaxed separation and communal living at the same time.
    It's pretty spectacular and must be a magical place to live.
    The Bazeley Partnership thanked User
  • PRO
    The Bazeley Partnership
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're glad you love it as much as we do! It is definitely quite spectacular; it's an award-winning barn so you'd expect it to be pretty awe-inspiring! The family that lives there absolutely adore it.

• crowningfashion
    8 years ago

This is amazing - wow, your client must be very pleased indeed!

The Bazeley Partnership thanked crowningfashion
  • lesannfull
    8 years ago
    Wow!
    The Bazeley Partnership thanked lesannfull
  • PRO
    MICHAEL KERR DESIGNS
    8 years ago

A wonderful transformation; practical yet very sympathetically restored

The Bazeley Partnership thanked MICHAEL KERR DESIGNS
  • PRO
    Bluebell Architectural & Design Products
    8 years ago

Love the balance achieved between old building and modern interior, thoughtfully done. The ceiling is simply stunning!

The Bazeley Partnership thanked Bluebell Architectural & Design Products
  • PRO
    The Bazeley Partnership
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

• buzzmummy
    8 years ago

Hi there this looks absolutely awesome, would love to have a real look round it! If it's not too nosy can I ask how big in Sq ft the project totalled, and the cost? I have seen a barn near my home that I think would be awesome converted, it has planning permission based on a lovely architect design, but it is in need of a complete overhaul as here, and am curious as to the sort of cost you'd be looking at? Have a nasty idea it would be rather above our budget, but.....it would make a lovely home!! I should say it is Georgian in heritage, timber and stone built. Love to hear from you. Thanks

The Bazeley Partnership thanked buzzmummy
  • PRO
    The Bazeley Partnership
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi abidoug. Thanks very much for your comments about the barn, it really is a lovely conversion. You can see more images of the barn on our Houzz page (http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/567850/grade-ii-listed-medieval-barn-conversion-bude-cornwall-uk) , or on our website (http://www.bazeley-architects.co.uk/portfolio-projects/medieval-barn-conversion)

I believe you can find a lot of information about the barn's costs, square footage, etc. from an article that was written about the property for a national magazine not long ago. You can find that article here: http://www.bazeley-architects.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/MaerBarnRealHomesFeature.pdf

Hope you find that information helpful. If you have any other questions, please do get in contact.

Many thanks.

• PRO
    Listed Property Owners Club
    8 years ago

Hi Guys, we would be interested in featuring this listed home in our magazine Listed Heritage. Maybe you can drop me an email on katie@lpoc.co.uk

• PRO
    Woodeye Furniture UK
    8 years ago

Love the glass roof!

The Bazeley Partnership thanked Woodeye Furniture UK
  • PRO
    Oak Tree Cabinet Makers
    7 years ago

Wonderful transformation.

• PRO
    Love Shutters UK
    7 years ago