Houzz Logo Print
schanop

What style is my house?

Chanop
8 years ago

We moved into this house in Earlwood, NSW, about a year ago. It is a single storey double brick house, probably built somewhere between 30s - 50s. It uses lime mortar, if I am not mistaken, for brick construction. During kitchen renovation that we did recently, we found that exposed mortar was very crumbly.

We have not done anything yet to the exterior except changing out windows to more modern looking double glazed units. Original owner, an Italian man who lived in the property for many years, had exterior wall rendered with texture and painted. He also extended the house from a small 4 rooms house (2 bedrooms, kitchen, and living) to a house with 4 bed rooms and an open area living/kitchen. The extension was added at the back of the house.

At the moment I am quite curious to what style this house is categorised as. I thought it could be a bungalow, but I didn't see any big front column that is usually associated with a bungalow. The house does not have any brick chimney, but three metal pipe chimneys: one for defunct fireplace, one probably for defunct hot water system, and another for something else I couldn't think about.

Any suggestion?

Comments (13)