Houzz Logo Print
mountainfreak4465

Kitchen design help por favor

I was hoping to get some advice from some of the fine Houzzers out there with a kitchen layout I'm working on for a new build. This will be a modern/contemporary kitchen with the base and tall cabinets being full overlay in one color and the uppers being something like aluminum with frosted glass.

My original thought was to put a big 80 40 picture window as shown in the 3rd photo, but it feels a little unbalanced to me. I do like the way the tall cabinets frame the uppers cabinets and window and I love the amount of uninterrupted prep space to the right of the sink. But if you're sitting at the island (see bottom photo) the window falls off to the right quite a bit. The window is south facing and stares directly at my cedar fence 6' away so I thought I'd try to plant Aspen trees outside of it.

My next thought was to do a wide skinny window (still with Aspen trees behind it) like in the 2nd photo. Run a stretch of short uppers above the window. I think that might look cool, almost like a photograph of aspens for a backsplash.

So what do you think? Should I go with the original less expensive plan with the big window, or do the long skinny backsplash window? Also I will have 9.5' ceilings I was planning on furring down to the 8' cabinet tops. Good idea or not?

Thanks a bunch for your input!

Comments (14)